Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here they are... at least a few of them. Our Ladies Aid group makes these quilts, then every November they are auctioned off.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Very nice. I really like the red one with the flowers, and the black and white. That picture with all the ladies busy is pretty neat too. I am just awed by the generosity of time, effort and care people put into these charity quilts! Is that the actual auction? The one man looks like an auctioneer. In the first pic the men look a little bored - lol.

How often does your group meet, and how many in the group? That's an aweful lot of handwork and the group seems very prolific!

Thanks for posting those.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, several of those pictures were taken at the auction with the auctioneers and their helpers. That first picture was nearing the end of the auction and it didn't end till around 11 PM (we'd been there since noon preparing the meal and the rooms for the auction which followed).

The first two and the last quilt were hand embroidered squares before being quilted. The quilts sold for $800 (lady holding umbrella), $600 (rose quilt), $500 (lavendar/purple circles), $400 (burgundy, navy, white), $250 (turquoise & white), $85 (black and white), $600 (tree quilt), and $800 (blue & white tic-tac-toe quilt)... I think I did them in order of the pictures.

To answer your questions Dandish, our Ladies Aid group gathers every Thursday at 1 PM (or earlier if we want). We have 23 members currently. Not everyone quilts. Some just come to visit, some embroidery, crochet or whatever they want to do, but the purpose is to get together with friends (they all feel like family to me now). While we're there, we get the meat, potatoes, etc., cooking for the evening meal we'll serve to the community.

We gather at a small local church which is only 2 miles from my home. It's wonderful. We pay all the bills for the church (propane, water, electric, repairs, furnish the kitchen appliances when something breaks down, added on a new addition to accommodate all the people who come to the meals and auctions, pay for gravel for the parking lot, etc.). The church would have died long ago if the Ladies Aid hadn't done this, because it's such a small church. So we have a huge kitchen and workspace where we do canning (like when meats are on sale, we'll can up a bunch to use for our meals we serve and to sell some at the auction). Some farmers from the area donate a bunch of sweet corn, which we can or freeze for future meals. Lots of people donate fruit from their trees... nothing goes to waste. We have several freezers and 2 large refrigerators. Of course, we all love to cook and bake, so this is a real joy to have accommodations like this.

The Ladies Aid is usually always requested to handle funeral luncheons/meals for people in the community and surrounding areas, and also to cater farm auctions. Often we get a donation to cover the expenses. We have quite a reputation for the wonderful foods we serve.

It's been a joy being a part of this group. I no longer feel so isolated like I did before I got involved with them. I've been lucky to find out what a wonderful group of people live in this part of our state.

Elocn, mark your calendar LOL - our auction is the last Friday before Thanksgiving every year. (But I figured once I posted the prices they went for, you might decide to make your own like I do! MUCH cheaper that way!)

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Shepherd - you describe what I think of how "it's" suppose to be.

Congratulations on being part of such a wonderful group of chosen family.

Angie

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Yep, it does sound wonderful. I don't think you come across groups like that too often anymore. I know there are lots of groups doing wonderful things, but yours sounds so, well, maybe intimate is the right word, like family as you said. The community meals sound great too (and I have to admit I noticed the roasters in the background of a couple of those pics :1pig: - lol). How very nice.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Wow that's fantastic, not only the quilts but the group as well! I would love to find something like that here to join, I guess I'm going to have to start asking around. I don't know many people as I'm a hermit, but I can ask hubby to ask some of the guys at work.

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
I love the quilt with the rosies, purple one, and black and white one. Your group sounds like they have fun with a financial benefit. I am so glad there are groups left like this in our world. It helps you keep faith in our sometimes mixed up society.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
What beautiful quilts and how wonderful that your time together produces a way to support your church as well! It seems like we don't hear about that kind of fellowship very much any more. It's nice to hear that your community is hanging on to the best part of the 'good old days'.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I moved here from the city 10 yrs ago, so this is all like a breath of fresh air for me - in MANY ways. LOL. I only found this group a year ago and it was because I'd mentioned to a neighbor I'd love to learn to quilt by hand sometime - she belongs to this group so she invited me. After the first 2-3 sessions I decided hand quilting (by myself) was NOT for me! But my main passion is cooking and baking - and they were serving weekly meals to the community... so they trapped me on that end of it. However after a few weeks, I was hooked on the quilting gatherings too. It's so much fun to spend the time with these ladies.

This group has definitely - without question - been a true blessing to this church. But this church has been a blessing by letting us have open access to the church facilities whenever we want too. I just feel so blessed that I hooked up with them.

If I ever moved away, I would do whatever I could to join another existing group, or start one up somehow.

If there are any small community churches near you, call them and ask if they have some type of ladies group that does anything like this. You just might get lucky like I did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts