lactated ringers solution

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, Sep 5, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hi all, been digging around the internet and just getting frustrated. Local feed stores/co-op never heard of lactated ringers solution. Can you fine folks give me a source of supply for this product?? Also, where to inject, how to inject, and in what quantity per goat/calf weights?? This hydrating liquid has been mentioned from time to time, seems like an important product to have in the barn's medicine chest...As always thanks...Tennessee John

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

You can get lactated ringers at the local pharmacy. As far as how much, I think most people will either hook it up sub q or UV and just run it slowly---if subq you get a small bubble under the skin that is slowly absorbed, if IV just run it slowly until the bag is empty.

I am sure that the more knowledgable people on this forum will be able to add to or correct my information.

3. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

Here in Missouri you can get them by vet prescription only. Pretty silly, but that's how it is. On the other hand, our vets are no longer allowed to dispense iodine products of any kind, or Chlorohexadine, but you can get Iodine products at the feed stores and Chlorohexadine from the local vet supply. Go figure.

Debbie

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

http://www.vetsupplys.com/ You'll need to get a venoset (The I.V. administration lines) and some needles 18 ga x 1 1/2".
    You administer a fist size bubble of fluids sub q (under the skin) over the shoulders of an animal that is dehydrated.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a good working relationship with your vet, you ought to be able to buy as much as you need from them. I always keep some on hand, they are a must.

6. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

I'm like Emily. I ALWAYS keep several bottles on hand. It's just one of those things that when it's needed, it's needed NOW, not something I want to have run around and try to find.
    susie

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter