Labor Signs

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by QueenB04, Feb 19, 2005.

1. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

Posted a little while ago about katahdin info. I have another sheep question. I worked with a vet and am familiar with labor of horses, dogs, cats, cattle, etc. but sheep are a new one to me. The only experience I've had was a suffolk ewe but she was sold as she was a 4-H project. My Katahdin is an undocked ewe, so it makes it hard to look for discharge/swelling. We know is pregnant and very large, but he bag isn't very full yet but has started to develop. She is a little skittish and the best time to look is breakfast time when we can get close enough to get a good peek at her tummy. I'm sure they exhibit the same signs, discharge, wax plug/leaking milk, and restlessness/discomfort? However I'm still new to the sheep field so please fill me in on any small signs I might miss. Oh any way to gauge how far along they are? And she is a first timer b.t.w. I drove by a sheep farm up the road the other day on my way to work and noticed a sheep out in the field grazing with the herd w/ two feet poking out of her so just a little idea of what to expect before this happens will be great!*lol* Thanks!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Check your weather forcast and look for the next really nasty day. Sheep don't waste good weather lambing it seems. OK OK Basically if you know cattle horse or goat signs you know sheep signs, they may seperate themselves off a bit from the main flock and paw at the ground to make a nest, they may not. Udders can be unimpressive one day full the next and full for weeks before they lamb it seems! About the only absolute is when you see feet you should have a lamb in 20-30 minutes, and if you don't you should probably see why not.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL yep exactly...you will see her circling the ground, to get a good possy I spose, and then down. Usually by the time I have seen the circling, and walked the paddock, cos they find a quiet spot by themselves, the lamb is born. Good luck.