Labeling non-Certfied Organic?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jack in VA, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

How does one get around the regulations when selling vegetables,etc., that you grew organically, but are not "certified"? In other words, can you say something like, "Grown using organic methods", or "Grown without chemicals", or something like that without "getting in trouble"? Where is the line drawn?

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'm not sure since the government started requiring certain standards, but i've seen, and bought, them in NC labeled non-certified organic. i think those were from farms that were in the process of being certified. if someone was selling them off the back of the truck and labeled them with any of your suggestions, i'd buy them too.:)

now, the government has certain requirements that must be met before they can be sold and labelled as organic.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

You can't use the word "organic" without being certified as such. Personally, I use methods that make the organic standards look like big ag, and my stuff is labeled "local," "natural," "spray-free," etc. If someone asks for clarification or whether I'm organic, I simply tell them I'm way beyond organic--but I won't risk the $10,000 fine to suggest that in writing.

Organic's just the currently chic buzzword, and I wouldn't waste much time trying to get a piece of that action. Grown correctly, your produce will speak louder.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

If you gross less than $5,000 you can use the word organic, but you cannot call it "certified organic" if you are not certified. If you meet the $5,000 exception you still have to follow the labelling rules etc. If you do not meet the $5,000 exception you would be better off calling it local and natural like fin29 suggests.

Al the regs are online at:
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/NOP/standards.html

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I would also mention my produce 'grown without the use of inorganic pesiticides or herbicides' and 'natural grown', 'grown without added chemicals or additives', and maybe even 'not genetically modified'.