Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received my electric bill and noted that I'm paying about 14 cents per kilowatt hour (not including taxes). That's three cents higher than the national average of 11 cents recently reported in our local paper. We're on a rural electric cooperative service, which probably accounts for some of the difference, but still, paying 30% above the national average is troubling. What are you paying in your area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We pay approximately $0.09/kwh in NE TN after a 20%+ TVA hike - supposedly this will be reduced by 8% beginning in January. Following our December electric bill I began recording our meter reading daily. It's enlightening to observe the correlation between the outdoor temperature and kwh usage - we will not use a heat pump next year.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
it is currently 4.6 cents per kwh in south central pa. that was for december and i think it is supposed to rise this month.

i found some old bills and it was 3.3 cents per kwh in 2003.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
We just had a rate increase effective Jan 1, 2009
Based on the new rates, I pay $19 a month for "facilities charge" then pay $.116 per KWH for the first 600, then $.099 for the next 600 and .060 for anything over that. Since my non-heat use averages around 1100 KWH, that puts me at an effective rate of $.126 KWH.

I pay $.046 KWH for my heat circuits (includes water heater). If I base these rates on what we used for 11/15 to 12/15 (which was high because it was really cold and we didn't use as much wood) it works out to an average of .078 KWH

Cathy

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
.13 here in southern Kentucky, all extra fees included. I see Nashville residents have been hit especially hard this month. News reports over 30,000 customers called to make payment arrangements this month.

·
East Central MN
609 Posts
.10 in the winter and .08 in the summer. An additional power usage fee over 1000kwh/month. That doesn't include taxes and fees just to have the meter on the pole which is 16 bucks a month.

The one good thing with these high rates solar electric and wind are looking better every day? :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
21¢... First Choice Power in North Texas. I think it's highway robbery. I just moved to a new town and got my rate locked in at 14¢ with another company.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
OK, if you have a low rate, are you actually dividing out the invoice cost by the number of KWH, or just taking the KWH at the word the power company has designated? We are on TVA power, and actual cost per KWH is right at 11 cents.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
well, my bill has lots of extra charges.

estimated usage for december (not an average spread out, but estimated and reconciled every other month)....a whopping 1389 KWH

generation charge at .04546 per kwh...$63.14
transmission charge............................$6.26
customer distribution charge................$5.00
KWH distribution charge.....................$26.03
intangible distribution charge...............$6.43
PA tax adjustment at .298400%............$0.32

total.............................................$107.18

so in reality, with all fees included that works out to what...7.7 cents per kwh?

·
Registered
833 Posts
That's in US dollars. Same rate for all of British Columbia Canada, just north of Seattle.

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
9 cents a Kw-hr, but all the other fees etc make it about 12 cents a Kw-hr. We only buy about 100 to 150 Kw-hr a month in the winter, lots less in summer. A $25 a month bill is a big one for us. The furnace fan is our biggest single user.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts