Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would post this since is it always interesting to see how crosses of different breeds do. This was an interesting one. We ended up with Kunekune X Mangalitsa crosses this year. We got 2 very healthy gilt pigs at 8 weeks old in April and had them butchered on the November 1st. Live weight was around 300lbs for each and a hanging weights were 197lbs and 199lbs. Final pork pork products were around 135lbs for one and 140lbs for the other. In addition they gave a lot of fat to render.

They were moved around in some paddocks throughout the first 4 months and then the last 3 months moved to a big pen. The last 6 weeks they were finished on at least 5 gallons of apples a day in addition to a free choice grain mixture. They taste so good and some good marbling in the pork.

They were extremely friendly, healthy and very active pigs. I would gladly try this cross again.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
They look really good !

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I cant see the pictures. But I knew a woman who had a similar cross. SHe used to post pictures of her pork chops and steaks all the time. I haven't decided if I want to try raising some or keep to commercial breeds. I just like pigs in and out as they start to wear on my nerves some. They taste great, but definitely not my favorite animal

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,299 Posts
Perhaps it would be more interesting if you were to buy a Kunekune X Mangalitsa and some other breed, perhaps a commercial breed or another lard type hog, like Large Blacks. Then, you could see if it is the exotic breed that gives the red color or if it is their diet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts