Kudzu Vines & Himalayan Blackberry Canes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mrglock27, Oct 23, 2006.

1. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

"They" can make ethanol out of pretty much any plant material right? I wonder if it would be economically viable to harvest the hundreds of thousands of acres of himalayan blackberries canes in the northwest and the kudzu down south and make it into ethanol? Not to mention all the other super fast growing noxious weeds. English Ivy, morning glory, etc. And what about the 10 trillion tons of grass clippings in the summer? I worked for a commercial landscaping company and we would dump about 10 big dump trucks full of grass every day, probably equivalent to 50 full size pickup loads. And that was just 1 company there are thousands of landscaping companies across the U.S. If all these big commercial landscaping companies could dump their grass clippings for free at the imaginary ethanol plant i'm dreaming of they could probably get more than enough material for free to run it . What do you guys think?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Plants with high sugar content makes the best ethanol. Thats why corn is used. It IS possible to make fuels from most anything but its not easy to harvest Kudzu compared to corn.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Grass clippings have a lot of spray on them. I don't know if that would affect the process.

You need to look at the requirements for ethanol processing from fiber materials. It is only a working theory at this point. While plants are bing built, they are no where near efficeint yet. Will be a decade before they get a good, positive, working setup.

Then, they require uniform, same, tightly packed materal. No dirt. None. No dirt at all. No round bales, no small square - only large square.

The material needs to be dry enough to store. Can't be wet grass clippings.

And so on.

You have good ideas. Someday. Maybe. We are a few years from this working out yet. Will have to see if the materials you mention are able to be efficiently processed.

I think everyone, 'they' included, want your ideas to work out! :)

--->Paul

4. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Best use for those kinds of invasive plants is to turn meat goats loose in them. Let the gaots harvest and turn the biomass into meat.