KS and OK Who is getting snow and ice?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by donsgal, Jan 12, 2007.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

How bad is it where you are?

donsgal

2. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

Roads are iced over in Oklahoma City, we are preparing to lose power and will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen!!

3. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

crawford county is getting sleet , roads are slick as all get out .
    I will have to pick he eldest up at school in a couple hours .

4. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I am near Topeka and it's snowing and sleeting now. Not heavily, but it's a'comin'! Wood has been brought in and I am off to the grocery store now to stock up on things I can cook on our wood stove if it comes to that!

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Montgomery Co is pretty slick. We are lightly iced and everything is white with sleet. I am sitting here listening to the sleet hit the windows and the wind howl...... thinking about napping until I HAVE to go for chores. It started at about 7:00am. I made a quick run into Independence because the heater float wasn't working on the heifer's water trough. I gassed up the van while there and I was lucky crawl back home with out getting into trouble.
    We are home to stay for the duration.
    Tana Mc

6. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Franklin co. & schools closed here this morning. Was freezing rain/sleet , now looks to be mostly snow & 16 degrees! [​IMG]

7. giddy

giddy Well-Known Member

I'm in southern Oklahoma, was 66 when I went to town this morning, 39 now and getting colder. Rained off and on all day.

8. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Across the state, in NW KS, we are still digging out of the New Year's storms. But, we were spared more ice this time, and have had light flurries on and off all day. We expect 8 more inches of snow over the weekend. 8 inches on top of 4-6 foot drifts make it difficult to care for the critters, and we are all praying that the power stays on for those of us fortunate to have it back. Many still don't have power back.

My little neighbor boy said "we depend way too much on electricity." he's right.

high today is 6 above zero with windchills bring the temp down to -14 or so.

9. tchan

tchan Well-Known Member

Wind, wind and more wind! It was supposed to snow yesterday and today but so far wind is so hard it has blown the storm right over us and into New Mexico and Colorado. It is horrid. Yesterday it was so bad it blew the roof right off of my chicken pen and my confused rooster of course jumped right out. Right on top of my dog, who promptly ate him. We fixed the roof and today the turkey pen roof came off(1/2 anyways). The dog was waiting but the turkey was a whole smarter than the rooster and stayed put! I think all of the sand in my riding arena has blown past my house so far. The horses don't want to come out of their sheds. 10 years or so ago we had a wind storm that got to 125 miles an hour. Hopefully it doesn't do that again!

10. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

My FIL is in colby and in the SE corner we have about a half inch of ice with freezing rain and sleet .

11. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm just north of OKC. Talk about a shocker, it was close to 70* yesterday!! It was 27* this morning about 8.

Right now (2 p.m.), it's sleeting and has been most of the day, so far it's looking like about 1/2" on the ground that is sticking. A lot of the first bit melted since the ground was so warm, but that's changing fast!

12. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

here in Dallas Co, Missouri it was almost 60* at 5:30 this morning. At 2PM it's now 28* been drizzing/rain all day and we're starting to freeze now. I got an icecicle crop growing on my back deck. I'm hoping I can still make it to the bus stop to pick up DD at 4:30.
    Also looks like she won't be havin' that birthday party in town tomorrow after all. :Bawling:

13. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

We are getting freezing rain here in McDonogh County IL. From what I hear north of Macomb, IL there are cars in the ditch. We are only supposed to get the freezing rain, and by sunday it was light snow showers. They aren't saying how much we will get. The road crews were out putting salt on the highway, so the roads shouldn't get too bad in town. I don't know about anyone outside the area.
    Michelle

14. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

And here, in so. central mo. its 4 oclock friday eve, and temps just started down. did chores in light mist/rain, feels like we'll be getting ice in a few hours.

15. drgnldy71

drgnldy71 Serene Dragon Farm

Pittsburg Co. Oklahoma, it's raining, has been off and on, not quite 32 yet, we're just waiting, Think most of McAlester now has enough food and fuel to last them a month, lol. What wet there is though isn't standing in the roads, most of us here should be able to at least make it home before anything happens. Think it's supposed to be worse tomorrow?

16. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

Northwest Oklahoma here (Alfalfa county) it wont snow because it is only 18*

we have been getting ice BBs off/on since 8am....at 11am I had to "turn right to go left" (ANyone else love the movie CARS???) I turned a corner left and the tail end just kept going....then I slid to the left and had to turn left to go right......

we (Aline-Cleo Public Schools) ran the buses at 1:30 but my DD's bus didnt get to the high school until after 2.....we had to notify all parents BEFORE we let their children leave that they were going home....the 3 town kids called thier moms to get released from school as they were supposed to stay all day....so basically we got out at 2.....

the basketball tourn. was another story.....the town where the tourn. is located called off school early but was planning on having the games last I heard....our Superintendent said we would forfeit our game....

the roads are covered in most places but the ground isnt really covered

Rachel

17. cc

cc Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in SE Texas it is 75 degrees and cloudy but the weather man said we would be getting what ya'll have now sometime Sunday evening or Monday morning. Been getting the blankets all ready to put on the horses and covering plants and all that fun stuff. Seems strange to be doing it while wearing shorts!

18. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Just west of Kansas City, Kansas it is icy and pretty slick, but we get this way a couple of times a year.

I do not intend to drive anywhere until the salt truck does it's thing! It might be a day or two.

I used to work in health care, and I went out no matter how bad the weather was. I drove a Chevy because it had stronger sides, and a pickup because of the good ground clearance. I went off the road saveral times over the years, but I was always able to drive back on to the road.

I am glad that I no longer have to! Perhaps I will bake cookies tomorrow.

19. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

now at 6 00 and has done so since noon

20. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Great story!

BooBoo :gromit: