Kool Aid and Goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by malickfarms, Jul 11, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of giving your goats kool aid, I have three kids two lamancha's and a boar.

I read you can give em kool aid but I dont remember why you would want to and I cannot find the magazine I found it in.

Any thoughts....would be appreciated

April

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I use kool aid and gatoraid to get them to drink their water in the winter before the buckets freeze up - I figure the sugar just gives them extra energy to help stay warm.

In the summer, I use kool aid to disguise the taste of medications I'm getting down their throats. They just slurp the koolaid (and gatoraid, especially the orange flavor) on up with no problems.

If one of them were sick with something and getting dehydrated I'd add some gatoraid to the water to see if I could get them to drink it on down.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Just hit one of my personal hot buttons. :grump: Kool-Aide is garbage. Imitation food. Synthetic nastiness.

Never ever let my children drink that crap.

Just my opinion. :hobbyhors

4. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

One of mine was scouring a few days ago. gave her berry gatoraid and boy did she like it! the children are whining now. "You bought gatoraid for the goat! you never buy us gatoraid! You love the goats best!"

(she's better now and I still don't know what the problem was)

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

yes I've used the unsweetened packets...mine are partil to fruit punch :shrug:

In the winter if we've had a particularly cold stretch I'll put a can of frzn OJ concentrate in 4 gal. of water....goat version of Hot Toddy :)

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I'm just now getting to this topic again. I've been very busy updateing my website. I only use koolaid if I do not have powerade or gatorade to give to my little goats if sick to get them to drink so they will not get dehydrated. Other than that I do not give my goats any of that stuff and now I have power punch and other things incase my goats get very sick. I also have given my goats children's pedyalite to help them too.

Many people have different opioions on things so you will get all kinds of answers.

Good Luck on your goats. :)

7. rich2748

rich2748 Well-Known Member

People who show goats sometimes use Kool Aid to get their goats to drink at the show site. Some goats will not drink water if it is not from their home. Can you imagine that?