Kombucha?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by therunbunch, Mar 10, 2017.

1. therunbunch

therunbunch MomOf5inTX Supporter

Can we talk about Kombucha here or is there another place for that???

2. thesedays

thesedays Well-Known Member Supporter

So good.....and something I've never been able to successfully make.

3. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

I'm game. anything in particular?

4. Jade1096

Jade1096 Well-Known Member

I bought a starter for my sister and myself about a month ago. We bottled our first batch and it turned out great. I've got another one going now that should be ready next week.
    I used 4 regular sized tea bags and about half a package of a berry herbal tea for a little more flavor.

5. Its me

Its me New Member

Im on my second batch of kombucha and my third batch of Jun. we absolutly love it! I strain it and add frozen berries to it and let it ferment for 3 days at room tempdrinking a qt jar between my husband and i every day so some ferment in the fruit for a day and the last of it is consumed 3 days old. So far ive only flavored with a berry mix of raspberries blueberries and blackberries.

6. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7

I've been making kombucha for several years now. I make it in gallon jars with coffee filters on top. In the summer I sat these in a box on top of the counter with a dark towel wrapped around them. In the winter I set them on a cabinet top in one of the unused bedrooms with an electric blanket wrapped around them. (I keep my trailer at 68 degrees throughout winter months and this is too cold for making kombucha.)

I use either "Green Tea" or "Black Tea" loose in a large amount of water, boil it about 10 minutes and then put a lid on it letting it sit until room temperature. At that time I add a full cup of white granulated sugar making sure it dissolves well. Then I add about 1/3 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar just to help keep bacteria away. Then I strain it all twice before adding the "pint" of kombucha I saved from the last batch. (Sometimes I will add the SCOBY instead; but often I toss the SCOBY out.) In about a week I take a straw and taste each gallon to see if it is the way I want it or not. If so, I will strain it twice again before placing it into quart-size glass jars to refrigerate. (Before doing this, I always put some of each gallon into a "cup" size glass jar with a lid to save for the next time I make it.)

During the summer I'll add some Passion Flower tea to each glass jar of kombucha; and during the winter (flu season) months, I add the juice/tincture of Elberries to the glass jars.

I've never made kombucha using herbal teas but may try it one day.

7. Its me

Its me New Member

I really like the elderberry and passion fruit idea!
    Im curious as to why you dont keep the scoby for making future batches...sounds easier your way thats for sure!

8. bmhughes89

bmhughes89 Member

My girlfriend works at a kombucha shop. She's not on here yet, but she posts on my name. If you want to chat with her let me know!

9. DoubleAcre

DoubleAcre Well-Known Member

Love kombucha. We've tried green and black tee and I prefer the black. She sometimes does a 2nd fermenting with fruits but I like it either way. When done, we keep it in a glass pitcher and it doesn't last long. [​IMG]

10. Meinecke

Meinecke Well-Known Member

We do Kombucha now for a few month and we love it...we have these Walmart 2.5 Gallon Glas container with spiked...works great...kitchen cloth on top with rubber band against "Guests" and it is doing its thing...Kind of tricky last winter cause of hard to heat rental house, so we kept it in the stove with lamp on to keep it cozy...
    For second ferment we normally use Cranberries, Mango juice or our favorite...Woodruff...the jummy Mai bowl plant from Germany.
    We always cook it the same way...15 green tea bags in a quart of boiling water sitting till cooled down to room temp. Fill the Gals with mild warm water and desolve 500 gramm sugar in it and ad a little molasses (for more nutrients) to it, than i toss my two cup "left over kombucha" and the scoby from last batch to it and cover it all back with the cloth...we never put any vinegar in it, since the two cups of old kombucha and the scoby already protect the new batch way enough...alos we are friends of a less vinegar and more sweeter version of the brew, so we dont let it sit till some people would call it a dry wine...smile...
    We still looking for loose organic Greentea, but had not luck so far...so we stick with the bags for now