Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
My sister gave me a start. I made tea a couple times, then forgot it and the poor thing died. Can they be revived after they dry up?

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Both my husband and I tried and tried to drink kombucha but we just couldn't develop a taste for it. But the pigs loved it :p :1pig:

However, we do drink kefir and both of us have healthier digestive systems because of it.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
I've brewed and enjoyed kombucha tea for about ten years now, off and on. I knew a man who had some cultures, he was kind enough to give me one, and also kind enough to let me have more when I neglected the original. They are pretty tough little things, though, and can take months of neglect and still be revived.
It does seem to be beneficial to the body, much in the same way vinegar is. I cant say I have noticed anything specific, but my body tells me it is good, therefore, I continue to drink it. Supposedly the glucoronic acid binds to toxins and heavy metals and shuttles them from the body.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, I used kombucha tea over the years off and on. I noticed my energy level went up and it is good for the digestion. Didn't notice anything spectacular. I had to stop using it because of the high yeast content. ...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I have a bottle that someone gave me . It has a small "sponge" in it . How do I make it grow so I can start making my own ?

Thanks , Patty

·
Registered
224 Posts
Patty0315 said:
I have a bottle that someone gave me . It has a small "sponge" in it . How do I make it grow so I can start making my own ?

Thanks , Patty
Hi Patty, I used to make Kumbucha Tea all the time for my mushrooms and myself.
Heres how;
Make a pot of tea in glass or enamel pot only. (No metal is to ever touch your tea.) :) In each teabag there is a little metal staple holding the teabag closed? I pull those out and tie the teabag closed with it's string. Use wooden or plastic spoons to stir. ***Use regular tea or mix it with some herbal tea. ( I do this sometimes. Can use only herbal tea if desired, but I think the mushrooms need the caffeine to be healthier. I would suggest that first you learn how to make the Tea and grow healthy mushrooms, than start to experiment with other teas. (Say you want to make a quart of tea. I would put a half cup of sugar)
Once the tea is made put your sugar in it and let it cool off completely. Must have sugar for the mushroom.
Remember, what ever size container you use, that is how big your mushroom will grow. usually something round is best. Put your 'sponge" ( which may be a mushroom trying to grow) gently on top of the tea. Hopefully it will float on top. It is suppose to. ***Cover with cheeze clothe or a piece of paper towel, (which is what I use) Let the mushroom set in the tea for 5-7 days. The mushroom is a living plant, it needs air. you will see a much thicker healthier mushroom in 5-7 days, and the tea will be ready to drink. I like to take my mushroom off about 5 days if it is fully formed and healthy looking.
The longer you leave the mushroom set the more sour the tea becomes. I don't like it real sour. Sometimes I dilute it with pure apple juice or water. Just a little. 1/2 cup or so. You will learn to adjust it to your taste.
Your mushroom will have made a new baby mushroom, so now you have 2. Make a fresh batch of tea, add some of the old tea to it. After it cools than put each mushroom in it's own container with the tea. cover with whatever you decide to use and make sure it can breath.
For your drinking tea, strain it to get the sediments out. WALLA! Ready to drink. :) It will probably taste strange at first. If you have any questions feel free to contact me, pm me or put it on the thread. Have fun with your mushrooms. :) Patsy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Patty0315 said:

Thanks , Patty
Hi Patty,
Just curious if you got your little "sponge" to grow into a mushroom. Did you get a chance to make the tea and see? :) Patsy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.