Koi in pond for weed control?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by poppy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. poppy

poppy Guest

Our small pond has some wild water primrose started in it. The stuff will take over if you let it. Has anyone had experience with Koi to control the stuff?

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what that is. If it's like seaweed, they will probably enjoy it. They will not take out water lillys or lotus. They will also make short work of insect larvae. We used to have a small manmade pond, about 2300 gallons, with goldfish and koi. We really enjoyed them. If you have cold winters the pond will need to be deep enough for them to hunker down in the winter.

3. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I don't know what size plants Koi will eat but sterile grass carp, a relative of Koi, will it what I think you are referring to as primrose.

Four yellow petals?

4. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I got 15 grass carp for my 2 acre pond. WOW! It went from unable to cast anywhere to only a few places with grownth in 1 yr. The guy who sold them to me said it would take 3 yrs to clean it up. Well this is year 2 and over winter they did some work. I have Koi for the Algae on the surface. They eat it all up. The carp eat the weed and Koi eats surface stuff. God made it amazing!

Dan