Kohlrabi or as Li'l Abner said, cold robbie

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Oxankle, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Anyone grow this? Does it grow well in hot weather or does it go bitter as do turnips?
    Ox

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's well grown, kohlrabi is crunchy, sweet, and mild. Otherwise, it can be hot and woody! It likes the cool spring and fall weather, just like its relatives, broccoli and cauliflower. Give it good garden soil and adequate water and it'll mature before hot weather can affect it.

We like it best eaten raw, right out of the garden, but one of my grandmothers used to cook it. Eewww!

3. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I'll ask my neighbor, she is Vietnamese. Her youngest daughter is the palliative care physician for the local ho****e. She is always giving us vegetables where there are no English translations as well as traditional types because she grows more than she can use. She does grow kohlrabi and harvested it just a little while ago. I’ll check when I get home.

4. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Tell me more about the palliative care physician and her clients.

The reason I asked about the kohlrabi is that I would like to find something that would be good from the garden in July and August here when it is 100 degrees in the shade and dry as the Sahara. I can water the garden but cannot A/C it. Turnips and Rutabagas here are ruined by the middle of June, but a friend gave me two good-looking Kohlrabi yesterday, early July. Have not yet tasted them.
    Ox

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Contrary to what Marcia says :) Kohlrabi is good in stir fry and even mixed with carrots, broccoli etc. for vegetable medly. I also have some hot weeks here (104 two days ago) and I use sheer curtain panels clipped to my sheep/hog panels to give shade to plants that don't like the heat. Not a good explanation - I'll try again.

I have panels attached to t-posts to support my pole beans & pea varieties. Next to the beans and peas are other crops like lettuce, beets, kohlrabi, onions etc. I have to use rain water so this helps with the watering as I can water a lots of things at once. I have shorter panels leaned up to the upright panel teepee style to keep the deer and rabbits out in the spring and to clip the curtains to in the hot summer to give shade.

6. scgirl

scgirl Well-Known Member

Kohlrabi can be used in many different ways. Check out the archives in the cooking and crafts forum for some recipes. I use it in stew and soup also. Plus, the greens are edible. It's a cold weather crop and you should be able to get 2 plantings out of it, the same as other cold weather crops.
    scgirl

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I grow kohlrabi in 3-4 week intervals, including throughout our hot and humid summer. They now have hybrids that are less woody and less prone to bolt (I'm currently growing "kollasel" (Sp?) I grow them on the shade side of my bean poles and have never had a problem.
    Steam kohlrabi and serve in a light cream sauce with caraway.... or just much raw :)

8. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Its too hot here for kholrabi in the summer....about like producing baseballs. Fall, winter, and spring produce great kholrabi.....we like it grated raw into a salad.

9. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Oxankle, I didn't get a chance to speak with my neighbor yesterday after work. It was raining here, thanks to Dennis. I'm so glad we need it badly, we're about 7 inches behind in total rainfall. And my stepdaughter came by to visit with the granddaughter. It's supposed to rain for the next week, I LOVE IT!!! I'll be sure to check with her.

Also here's a link to the hospice .

10. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

11. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Oxankle, I finally got a chance to speak with my neighbor and she says that she has friends that grow kholrabi all summer long. She doesn't as they don't eat that much of it. She has never heard of kholrabi getting hot or bitter. I don't know where you're from and are trying to raise kholrabi, but I think she's only raised it here in Kentucky and in the Chicago area. That should give you the info as far as what zones it grow well in.

12. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I've never had it get hot and bitter either. It can, however, split.
    What have you got to loose? Plant a half dozen and see how thye fare. :D