Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 hp Kohler lawn tractor engine is electric start, but the starter is acting up, did all the usual stuff and then checked on the price of a replacement.

Needless to say I am looking for alternatives, anybody know where I can get a recoils set up for the engine?

The local dealer says its so old they don't have the listings.

·
tom
606 Posts
might try a local junk yard or impound lot.any way to "notch" the pully for a rope?
kinda hard to tell without seeing it.
tom

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Also check the size of the pulley, you might be able to find one from another brand that might work. On my regular push mowers I've swapped side covers from mowers I was scrapping onto mowers I was trying to get working even if they were different brands example a Briggs motor with a Teucush(sp) side cover or an MTD cover.. They don't always work, but it's worth a try..

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
item number 320092347046 on Ebay seller as 3 sales of misc parts from a kohler engine from a 140 JD mower...... you might ask if they have what you need.....

flee market that big and a person would think there would be a dozen old kohlers listed at any one time..

What did the parts house want for a new starter??

seller on ebay small-engine-deals with auction number 140138137145 has a starter that might work for you for $98 plus shipping from dunkirk indiana

William

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
What's wrong with the starter? I'd not be in favor of owning a 14 hp manual start engine - especially an older one that may/may not have a compression release. I have a fairly new Briggs 10.5 hp I/C on my log splitter. It's equipped with a starter, but wasn't set up with a battery (!?!?!?). It will work you into submission starting it manually if you miss that one fuel/air choke setting when starting it cold. Once warmed up, it's no problem. I now carry a battery to it and simply connect with jumper cables to start it initially - cranks right up with the starter.

Depending on how the starter is acting, it may be as simple as cleaning the armature and/or replacing the brushes. I'd change local dealers...

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
What does the starter look like? Do you know of a link that might have a schematic or drawing of it. The reason I ask is because I'm tearing apart an 18 hp riding mower for scrap and I know the starter is still there and had just been rebuilt when the motor went south. If by any chance it works you are more then welcome to it.. I know it's a long shot, but anything is worth a try..

Did you try Kohlerengines.com?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My starter some times fails to respond, other times it will spin every time. I cleaned the thing completely and am experienced with rebuilding such items. Rewired the ignition and get positive response with a test light.

I'll pull it again and see if I can find a number.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,767 Posts
moopups said:
My starter some times fails to respond, other times it will spin every time. I cleaned the thing completely and am experienced with rebuilding such items. Rewired the ignition and get positive response with a test light.

I'll pull it again and see if I can find a number.
It could be a safety switch going bad and not the starter at all.
Or possibly a bad connection since it works part time. I'd try cleaning them up

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This antique was running before safety switches were invented or required. Too much rain here to do much today, will attempt to proceed tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts