Kohler natural gas generator

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Michael W. Smith, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have an opportunity to put in a bid for a Kohler natural gas generator that was taken out of our local high school. It wasn't used that much as it's purpose was to run the lights when the electricity went out. Nobody knows for sure when it was installed in our school, but it looks like late 60's, early 70's. It was still working when they took it out and installed a new one due to renovations. It has however sat outside under a tarp for the past year or so.

I would like to get it to use as a backup for my house. I looked at it today, and it looks to be in fairly good shape.

If you were me, what kind of bid would you put on it? This is a silent bid that you write your name and bid on a paper, and after the bid closing, they open up all the bids and give it to the person willing to pay the most.

I don't want to overpay for something that I know nothing about, but if this is something that shouldn't have any mechanical problems, I don't want to miss out on a deal either.

Should I be worried about it sitting outside under a tarp for over a year? What would you bid on it?

(By the way, I have free gas, so the cost of natural gas means nothing to me.)

2. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is what google turned up for "A" generator by kohler (link and info from link). Price listed was $6850.

I would bid $500 (edited to say: that's if you can get them to demonstrate that if works), unless you suffer frequent power losses of more than 2 days, then maybe more.

http://www.coloradostandby.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1141?source=froogle

Powered by a water-cooled 1.6L GM engine, the 30RYG Kohler standby generator is packed with features and provides reliable and consistent standby power.

Features:

• One-year limited warranty
    • 1.6L GM water-cooled four cylinder, four-cycle engine
    • Electronic engine controls for optimized fuel and spark performance
    • ADC 2100 digital voltage regulator with ±1.5% no-load to full-load regulation
    • Engine Shutdowns for High Engine Temperature and Low Oil Pressure
    • Battery Rack and Cables

VOLTAGE: 120/240 RATED RPM: 3600 FREQUENCY REGULATION: ±0.5% WATTS:27kW STANDBYAMPS:112 Fuel: Natural Gas

3. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

$200.00 max if i dont get it oh well! I may or many not have gotten something worth paying more for.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............I wouldn't pay 1 cent for it. TOO big for a small residence and probablly TOO inefficient . When that unit was installed gas was about 10 cents a gallon . would cost you a fortune to run and maintain . fordy.. :eek:

5. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I agree with fordy, Ive looked into the new natural gas generators by Generac for the home(about 7kw). The fuel consumption is to high, 105 cuft/hr for natural gas and 44 cuft/hr for propane. Way to expensive for full time use but may be worth it in the middle of winter with no other source of heating/electricity.

6. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Remember that the price of his fuel is $0.00 per cubic foot. With a good battery bank and inverter, he would only need to run it a few hours a day. I would offer what i was going to pay if I was going to go and buy one anyway. And i agree with Rick, have them demonstrate that it works. If they won't, then offer what you can afford to throw away.

7. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I don't see where you state the size ,in KW ,of the generator.I would want to know the size before I could suggest a bid. The gen should have a data plate with Model #, Ser. #, & KW on it. [A 15kw Gen will power about any large home with all power equipment.] That will help you to find the year of manufacture as well. If you get your gas FREE, then you may get a good deal on it. Repost info on the Genset.

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Unless, you have nat gas wells on your property :cowboy: