Kobe / Wygu Beef?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by savinggrace, Dec 18, 2005.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

Does anyone raise Wygu beef or Wygu crosses? I have some questions for you!

Thanks,

Melissa

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Mellissa,

When we keep back heifers we AI them to Wagyu bulls. The first time we did it the calves weighed 60#'s this was from Longhorn cows. One of the professors at Washington State Univ. is into Wagyu's big time. They are breeding to Angus cows and are able to meet Japan's grading requirements, not the highest grade, but still pretty good. He is currently contracting with ranchers in Montana and AI's their Angus heifers and pays $.10 over market price on pickup.

I'd be glad to answer anyother questions you have.
    Bobg

3. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Thank you very much for the reply! I have been contemplating raising Wagyu for years, but I am not sure how in demand they are in this area. (Northwest suburb of Chicago).

I am curious if Wagyu bulls can be successfully bred on a dairy breed (milking shorthorn) As an experiment before getting into raising meat cattle. I have heard much success crossing Wagyu on Black Angus.

Raising meat cattle might be a possibility in the next few years for us.

Thank you again,

Melissa

4. unioncreek

Melissa,

I think that Wagyu would work well with a milking shorthorn, from what I've read the milking shorthorn could be considered a dual purpose breed. The Wagyu are slower at maturing at around 48 months of age in Japan. The Wagyu cross heifers that my longhorns had weighed over 800 pounds when they were a year old. Not bad considering the cross. The only real way to see how well breeding to a milking shorthorn is, is to try it. As far as marketing the meat goes, it would depend on who will be buying. I think the greatest selling point is the fat profile on the Wagyu, it's healthier than the European breeds. The way I sell my longhorn cross calves to to give potential customers a package of steaks or hamburger and let them tell you what they think.

Bobg

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

On the Kobe beef, my understanding is there is nothing special about breeds used. Animal is kept confined in a stall and not allowed to exercise. I think the reported massages are a bunch of hype (outside of calming the animal down). Thus, they don't develope the muscle tone of pastured ones. And, yes, the occasional beer may help them somewhat fatten up as well. Seems to work on people.

When I was in Croatia in 2001 I was taken to an indoor confinement 3,000 head feetlot. Much the same principle there. Mostly intact bulls were kept about 20 to a pen with enough room for all to lay down comfortably. Their limited movement would have also likely resulted in reduced muscle tone.

6. caseyweiss

caseyweiss Well-Known Member

Milking Shorthorns are very popular now and prices are going through the roof for good M.S. replacements. A purebred Milking Shorthorn heifer will be worth alot more than a 50/50 Wagyu Milking Shorthorn cross. If your cows are not registered, it is not a big deal, but if they are registered, I would hate to lose that profit potential by crossbreeding.

Sometimes miles add merit, there are Angus sires who's calves will marble as much as a Waygu, be easy calving, and yield alot more at slaughter.

Thanks,

Casey

7. unioncreek

Casey,

The selling point of Wagyu is not only the marbling of the meat, but the healthier profile of the fat. I agree on selling registered milking shorthorns, there is more money in that. You need to find the niche that will do you the best. I AI one cow a year to Wagyu for my own use. I will be breeding my longhorn cows next year to big horned longhorn bulls to capitlize on that market.

Bobg