know of any clean rap groups or clean rap albums?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SherryR, Dec 5, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

My youngest loves music, many kinds. She turns on rap in the car, and I only leave it on for a few minutes before I hear something I dont want her to listen to. Any clean rappers? O r rap groups?

Yes, yes, I know rocknroll & c&w have bad lyrics too, but I'm sorry, I cant stand hearing stuff like crap I hear on the radio. I'm not a prude, or anything, but kids dont need to hear that awful stuff. Especially since they dont have any idea what it's about, or what it means.
    Sherry

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I really like "2 Live Jews" album "As Jewish As You Wanna Be". Lots of parodies and yiddish humor. Stay in school, make a lotta money, take care of your family...My cd was in my 94 toyota when I had my accident back in 97 and i never replaced it.. :Bawling:

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Will Smith's records are clean.

4. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

I was also going to say Will Smith. He doesnt believe in using nasty language in his rap songs.
    Alice in Virginia

5. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Do NOT buy any music by Ludacris - the one album I've heard is pretty crude. One way to check things out is to install iTunes on your computer and look at the rap genre. They flag the ones with language etc. so if nothing else, this helps weed some out. And you can listen to a snippet of the song. Also there plenty of sites with the lyrics, some by song, some by album and this is another place you can do your parental duty before parting with your hard earned cash.

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I have a couple of suggestions that might seem a little off the wall. Try googling Matisyahu. He is actually developing quite a following on the rap scene.

You could also check out White & Nerdy by Weird Al Yankovic. A parody but it is so well done that it is really popular among the folks that listen to rap.

Hope this helps.

Mike

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i vote for will smith too.

also, kanye west and outkast.

i hate rap too, but outkast is a genius.

8. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I would check out the Christian music link. Two that come to mind are KJ 52 (pronounced KJ five-two) and Toby Mac. I will check with my kids and tell you some more.

9. Josephine

Josephine Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do Kanye West. The song I have by him talks about smoking weed and has swear words!

My little brother made me listen to Jurassic 5-he was so proud to have me listen to their music because it was "clean". I listened and there wasnt a single swear word on it, it wasnt too suggestive and they didnt talk about "gansta's".....I believe the album I listened to was Feedback or something like that.

I second the Will Smith suggestions also! I remember in an interview once he said he never swore in his songs because his g'ma made him promise not to!

10. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

All of Weird Al's stuff is clean and he has several other rap parodies as well. :)

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

2 live crew.

nice, clean cut group. Nothing at all offensive.

12. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

Outkast has a lot of swearing in their music. Also glamorizes selling crack and smoking weed. Blatant exploitation of women. I wouldn't want my child listening to them.

13. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

LOL, I believe 2 live crew's "Nasty as They Wanna Be" is the most controversial rap album in history. Even more than Ice T's "Cop Killer".

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

as rap goes now, they were choir boys.

lol

15. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

LL Cool J is pretty clean. Will Smith is VERY clean. Black Eyed Peas aren't straight rap, but they're great.

I let me nephews listen to it all, including my Eminem CDs, but I buy the edited versions....

16. SherryR

thanks everyone! you gave me some ideas!
    Sherryr

17. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i believe this is incorrect, but you can believe it if you want to. :)

18. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

beck had done some rap, he usually encompasses all genres on his albums( i know he is a skinny little white kid)

debra harry( blondie) helped popularize rap by releasing her version of rap in the late 70's early 80's, didnt particularly like the song but its interesting if you are reviewing rap history, and looking for something different

cant say i like any of it :shrug:

19. SherryR

Thanks you all, Jerzygirl, I remember hearing Blondies rap album, it was played alot on armed forces radio. There was also another group in the 80s, or late 70s that was very popular, and it was rap, and it might have been LLcool J, but cant remember. Bought their album, and used it while running.
    I would hear it while working, and if I had radio on in barracks. I am getting some of the albums you all have talked about for her for Christmas.
    Sherry