knot?tumor under elbow

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Apr 1, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hi All,

i checked on the bunns. and noticed a hard firm knot under her elbow about the size of a very large golf ball. All hair is intact.I have no idea how I have missed noticing this. What in the world could it be. i try to touch them every other day just to keep them used to human touch and do a health check once a week. i can only guess that I missed it because she is usually facing another way and when I run my hand down her this lump is almost under her. I have not had her long -less than 2 months. It wan not there then for sure.

Is this Llke CL. in goats? DO I need to worry about it being transfered? I am just starting in rabbits and am not fully aware of what they can get.

I don't think she is off feed & she seems alert and is not in pain when I examined the knot. I had a dog get somthing similar and found during surgery it was cancer :waa: . Thanks for the info. Katharine

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much, I have never heard of anything contagious from this, but I could be wrong. She probably just got a cut and it is infected, I don't know what I would recommend, if she is doing okay you could just let nature take it's course. Or you could drain it, etc. I doubt it is something more serious but you never know, hope someone else has more info.

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I'd say it sounds like a tumor, but that certainly doesn't mean it's cancerous. Our French lop has had two tumors (about what you describe) removed, and they both turned out to be benign. In any case, it doesn't sound contagious. Good luck with her!

4. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

Okie Mom,
    My #1 Doe had a simular knot on the side of her face but away from her mouth. I too didnt know what it was or what to do for it. At first I though it was an absess but it was too far from her mouth. She kept it for about 2 weeks and one day I went into the barn and she had blood all over. The blood was mainly on her hind leg, foot and face on the same side of the bump which tells me she scratched it till it opened up with her back foot. There was also a large clump of white puss ( the size of a golfball ) below her cage. I put some anticeptic spray on the open wound and in 4 weeks it was totally gone. To this day she is still producing. That was about 3 months ago. Now I'm not saying that that is what is wrong with your rabbit, but it is a possiblity.
    Rancher

5. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hello All,

The lump was an absess and had to be fixed by a vet. It was so deep that just lancing it would have causes a reoccuring abcess. The vet also had to amputate a toe that a dog had chewed. The dog was a stray that someone had dumped. Grrr... :no: :soap: The dog won't be bothering anymore livestock :yeeha: .

My Neice is thinking of being a vet so, I had her take the rabbit in and be a vet helper for the surgery and watch for the rest of the day. My FREE rabbit ended up costing me big bucks. But, as it was my fault the dog was able to get into the shed I felt it was my duty to make sure she was healed. It also would be great if my neice became a Vet for selfish reasons :D ;) . Happy to say rabbit is doing great and my Neice didn't faint or puke, her career as a Vet may be promising :haha: ;) :cool: . Thanks for all the help. Katharine