knot on pig's neck

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tripletmom, Sep 14, 2005.

1. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

before I take this pig to the vet I'd like to get any thoughts out there. The pig is about 75 lbs and has developed a knot on his neck. The knot is hard as a rock and big as a tennis ball. I've had other animals get knots that were full of pus and had to be lanced and let drain(nasty!) and I hate to go to the vet if that is what this is as we can deal with that ourselves. Do pigs get goiters? He's seemingly healthy otherwise. Thanks!!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The injection site for a pig is typically the neck as that is where the lowest cost meat exists. Sometimes the injection site can react as you described. Since I have no awarness as the the pigs background obviously this is only a guess. It could be a splinter or a thorn also. Personally, I would lance it.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with Agmantoo. The knot may soften up after a while and drain if lanced. A shot of antibiotics might help in the meantime. Take into account the cost of a vet visit against the value of a 75 pound shoat. There are cases where it would be cheaper to lose the pig.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

make sure and make the drain hole at the bottom...that way gravity works with you....it will drain naturally. You might want to snare it. Lots of times I will use a 16guage needle and squeeze it out like a zit. Then just spray with iodine. You might want to squirt some penicillin on it too. You can give about 3cc of pen on the other side for about 4 days if the pig is sick. I would see first though
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003

5. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

we have come to the same conclusion as you all, decided we would lance it. Haven't got to it yet but am sure appreciative of the similar responses! Thanks!