Knot on doe's neck.What could it be???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by WolfSoul, Sep 24, 2004.

1. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

My pregnant doe (1 year old) has suddenly developed a weird hard lump on the side of her neck about midway from her head to shoulders. It's white, raised up about 1/8 inch, hard, and this is what I think is weird; it's rectangular in shape. She doesn't mind if I touch it, it's NOT seeping anything, it's just hard like a callous and sittin' there. It seems a little itchy to her, if anything. It's not painful, swollen, red or anything "normal." It looks like someone stuck a rectangular object just beneath her skin. Anybody have any ideas? It's about 1/4" X 1/2"........ :confused: Thanks tons, Karen

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Karen,
    Sounds like to me she may have CL (Caseous Lymphadenitis). I would have it checked out by someone that knows. If it is CL it is contagous. It will pop open and start to ouse puss and this is when it gets contagous even for humans. There are several sites on the net that tells you all about CL. I hope this is not what she has. it can be cured but it takes alot of patience and time.
    Tina

3. WolfSoul

Is it contagious to dogs and horses too????

4. MC NLI

MC NLI Guest

From what I know yes it is...hopefully its not though!

MotherClucker

5. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

Yes CL is high contagious even to humans and other animal species.

But what you are describing doesn't sound like CL. You said she looks like she was hit by a triangle object. A CL lump is perfectly round. Also between the neck and shoulder is a very odd place to have a lump of CL. Normally you will see it on the Jawline first. Don't mistake a thistle prink or thorn prick for a CL Lump. You can also get lumps or abcesses from vaccinations.

I wish there was some way I could actually see a picture.

If there is any doubt in your mind thought that it is possibly CL. Have that animal confined and quarintined away from your other goats and animals, then have it tested. Make sure to wear gloves and treat it like HIV. That is exactly how this is transfered. Threw fluids and such (if it is CL she could also have it in her lungs. Coughing could spread it in the mucus.) After the tests come back then you will either have to make up you mind on what to do with her or be able to release her back with the herd.

6. WolfSoul

It dawned on me as I was sketching what the knot looks like. You know one of those white, rectangular erasers that drafters use or artists use? It's shaped like that, but much smaller. It's about 1/3 the size of that. It doesn't look at all like the pics of the boils I saw on the web. It figures, I'd have a goat with an unusual goat. haha

I have the vet coming Monday evening. I'll lt ya'all know what she says.

Thanks everybody.

Karen

7. WolfSoul

I meant I'd have a goat with an unusual KNOT not goat :haha: I'm not tired, really I'm not .... :eek: