Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ND Buck gets a little possesive when theirs a doe in heat & him & his wether buddy butt heads etc. He has no horns but still when cleaning pen's this a.m. we found a tooth in their pen. Anyways I checked mouths & it is from the wether. It is not like it's broken in half it doesn't look like, I have the tooth & it looks like it was completely knocked out. He seems to be eating like he normally does. I give them alfafa pellets with AC on it in the morning & he ate that no problem. What would you do? Just watch it to make sure it doesn't get infected I'm sure but anything else? Have you ever had to have a vet pull a tooth on a goat? I don't know how he'd get a hold of it to pull it?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Is it from the front lower or from the back? Sounds like the back, and I did have this happen to a doe of mine. But she broke the front tooth off at the gum line and has lived like that for the last 2 years or so. Looks a little funny when she calls out, but leads a normal life. Not sure what to tell you about your poor guy if the whole thing came out root and all. With humans, they just tell you to keep an eye on it. And no blood? Wow.

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
I found the top of a tooth next to the minerals last summer. So far I can figure out which goat lost it.

Since yours lost the entire tooth I would think the other teeth would shift to fill the void.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I couldn't respond quicker but all afternoon yesterday when I tried to get back on here it said "Database error & that the Homesteading today had already been notified.
Anyways, I checked out the boys mouths yesterday when I found the tooth & actually it looks like it was from the front but like the side, not directly the front if that makes any sense, and not really flowing blood Lynn but you could tell a little blood on the gum. As for his age he was a year old the end of March 2008. I was wondering if they lost baby teeth or not but isn't he too old for that now?
When I say knocked out the tooth I didn't explain right, it's not the whole root but you can see where it was broke off & ruff but like it came from under the edge of the gum and it did make me think when I seen it of when a child looses a baby tooth but it was not smooth where it came out at.
He seems to still be eating fine today & doesn't act like it bothers him too bad.

One other question though & I know this will sound dumb but I think I'm having senior moments or something but I can't remember my little Buck carrying on quite this bad before with his buddy. I know ND come in heat but do the bucks still have what you'd call a RUT period like full size goats, deer, etc. where it would make them act more possesive, etc.?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
What's his age?

Goats don't lose all their incisors until they're four. If it's an incisor, and he's under four, he may have just lost a baby tooth.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, he's still eating good. I looked at his gums this a.m. & nothing seems to be inflamed or infected. My little buck has even calmed down some but I don't have a doe in heat right now either. The boys are backed to being best buddies again so I'm not too worried. I didn't know the tooth would grow back I figured he'd just have 1 less. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts