Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations on some good knives for the homestead. We have butchered 1 deer, 3 hogs, and about 100 chickens this year with not one good or even decent knife on the homestead. We are not, like always, wanting to spend an arm and a leg but willing to make a healthy investment on some that will last with this lifestyle. Ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Well,maybe I can actually be of some help for once instead of pok'n ya! My computer can't spell it but I love solegine steel from that town in Germany. I don't know anything about any new production because once you buy one you will never need another so maybe the quality has changed.
I'm going to say i bought mine around 1980. It was a matched set hunting knives, one with a 5" and one with a 3". I had wanted one for years but at $130 it wasn't going to happen. Then one day there they were taunting me at a close out for $35. Boom!Done deal!
OK now back down to earth. That year I skinned and deboned 7 deer and 109 squirrel without having to sharpen them.If you keep them sharp they will stay sharp. Before and after each use I honed them with the inside of my leather belt a few times and in the middle of the process if they needed it.You just can't ask more of a knife than that!
After you get to the point that they do need some attention, use ONLY a "Lansky" type sharpener.They are set up to take the human element out of the equation. You'll be able to keep a good edge on them as long as you live!

Wade--- (the stalkerr)! LOL

·
Registered
429 Posts
The Russell Green River knives are not expensive. The're the ones most professional butchers use. I've had mine for many years - They have butchered many a deer and hog and still just as good as ever. Any of the high carbon knives like Old Hickory are also good.
If you want make a good investment get a set of good DMT diamond stones or a Work sharp Ken Onion model sharpener. A sharp blade makes all the difference.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
IMO, a knife is only as good as the person who sharpened it. I have found that "high quality" (as opposed to the ones about as thick as soda can side) knives from Wal-Mart work just as well as the HIGH dollar knives at restaurants the only difference is you have to sharpen them more often.

Again just my opinion but unless you are going to be using a knife for a several hours a week (and very few people do) then all you need to do is get some knives with nice heavy blades and learn how to sharpen them and how to use a steel correctly.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The Russell Green River knives are not expensive. The're the ones most professional butchers use. I've had mine for many years - They have butchered many a deer and hog and still just as good as ever. Any of the high carbon knives like Old Hickory are also good.
If you want make a good investment get a set of good DMT diamond stones or a Work sharp Ken Onion model sharpener. A sharp blade makes all the difference.

Thanks for posting this Badger! that's good info to have!(But I still love my solegine!)

Wade

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for posting this Badger! that's good info to have!(But I still love my solegine!)

Wade
I have a couple of those as well, They're excellent. I've got several hand made, hand forged knives from a friend of mine that's a fairly well respected blade smith. He made me one about 20 years ago I call Sting, Its field dressed over 70 deer and countless hogs and I only sharpen it about once a year. I do strop as needed though.I carry a Buck rosewood Vanguard as a backup but have never used it. I have over 200 knives in my collection, some very old, The sharpest one I have is made of obsidian and deer antler. It will make you bleed just looking at it.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
i have a couple of those as well, they're excellent. I've got several hand made, hand forged knives from a friend of mine that's a fairly well respected blade smith. He made me one about 20 years ago i call sting, its field dressed over 70 deer and countless hogs and i only sharpen it about once a year. I do strop as needed though.i carry a buck rosewood vanguard as a backup but have never used it. I have over 200 knives in my collection, some very old, the sharpest one i have is made of obsidian and deer antler. It will make you bleed just looking at it.
cool!

Wb

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
:hijacked:

The sharpest one I have is made of obsidian and deer antler. It will make you bleed just looking at it.
LOL brings back good memories!
I was working with a archeologist when we found a site that had a lot of obsidian chips . I warned her to be careful with them but since I was just a Dumb kid and not even a archeological student she ignored me. Picked up lots and bagged them then put them in her pocket.
When we got back to camp most were missing ,they had cut their way out of the bags and worked their way out of her pocket and down her leg. Leaving lots of little cuts she hadn't noticed (to be fair the mosquitos WERE distracting) and the ends of her fingers were cut raw.:yuck:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like the old carbon steel knives the best.....but I bought a Sabatier. from a thrifty type store for a buck and a half....french knife...retail about $100 to $150...it's one of 3 or 4 stainless knives.....including pocket knives that I own that will hold an edge....and can be sharpened on a regular whetstone...
If I had to start out fresh.....I'd hit the thrift stores and estate sales and ebay....get some good whetstones....Sabatier....original Old Hickory...blue steel commericial knives....Maw got some from A&P when they changed over to stainless...they sharpen up easy.....I'd shore get me a big long handled cleaver off Ebay...something like a "lamb splitter"....if I weren't gonna use a sawzzalll...
I got some "cutco" stuff also....someone was gonna toss them at the dump...I knew they were sorta expensive.....they sure hold a good edge and fit the hand good...loved the price I payed...FREE
Old Old Timer, Case, and Shrade knives are generally pretty good....don't know about the newer ones

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Thanks. I use to cut meat in a small grocery store and got pretty good at getting a decent edge on the knives we used there. I couldn't for the life of me remember the brand we use to use.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Old Hickory from estate and garage sales. Sharpen easily. high carbon steel so take care of the blades. I got a big breaking knife, Old Hickory, been down in a drawer diagonally for a while, I reached in the other day and barely touched it and cut myself.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
IMO, a knife is only as good as the person who sharpened it. I have found that "high quality" (as opposed to the ones about as thick as soda can side) knives from Wal-Mart work just as well as the HIGH dollar knives at restaurants the only difference is you have to sharpen them more often.

Again just my opinion but unless you are going to be using a knife for a several hours a week (and very few people do) then all you need to do is get some knives with nice heavy blades and learn how to sharpen them and how to use a steel correctly.
Ok, this is post I am responding to, see following post for my response, as I cant get my response to show paragraphs and otherwise its unreadable. So used screenshot images of my post. Grrrr.... hope somebody gets some good from my effort.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Go to next post.... GRRR... forgot this forum doesnt want people to delete any post. So bear with me.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Part2 of original post

Ok, hope it shows. Using images is only way I can get paragraphs to show.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I mostly use this brand for butchering.
https://www.google.com/search?q=victorinox+butchering+knives&rlz=1C1VSNC_enUS574US574&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=djcwVJThJcP_yQSEm4LIBw&ved=0CGcQ7Ak&biw=1242&bih=576
I have a big butcher, 2 boning and a skinning knife. They're very sharp and work great. I could just about use the boning knife and a saw for everything when doing a hog. I also have a small bird's beak paring knife that I use in the kitchen all the time.
I got most of mine through amazon but our local Amish hardware store carries the same brand in their butchering supplies section.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Morakniv brand knives are very econimical and one of the highest customer rated knives on Amazon. I bought a few and they are easy to used and require very little care.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am a huge fan of Rada knives. I am a huge stickler for sharp knives especially when I'm using them for cutting up a deer or cleaning fish or birds. For the longest time I would only us Rapala knives for cleaning and boning but now have since changed to Rada.

Give them a look. I give them for Christmas presents all the time and everyone whom I gave them to loves them. One other bonus is they are 100% made in the USA out of small company in Iowa.
http://www.radacutlery.com

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't mean to thread hijack, but what type (not so much brand, but size/style) of knife(s) would be recommended for slaughtering and butchering a steer? We don't usually DIY that, but the last time we had to (emergency situation), DH broke my carving knife while bleeding out an old cow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts