Knives on the Homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I went to an Estate sale with a buddy of mine. We noticed a big pickel jar full of assorted knives and that started me thinking how many knives we have.

In the kitchen there's at least 2 sets of steak knives, full set of the Ron Popeil Never Sharpen knives, assorted Old Hickory butcher knives, and a full set of the Ginsu knives. Somewhere there is a cleaver or two as well.

I've bought over the years several straight blade knives like Buck and Case, Folding knives like Buck, Case, Kershaw, Barlow, S&W, Colt. I still have my first Shrade knife Dad bought me back in the 70's.

So how many knives do you have and of them how many get a lot of use?

I watched the "Cold Steel" DVD and was impressed by the Voyager Series. I just wish they had tested them against Buck, Case and Kershaw.

Anyone here use a "Cold Steel" knife? How good are they?

My dad had a old case straight blade, a barlow (USA Made), 3 Hickory butcher knives and a German hunting knife. I can't remember him buying any knives when I was at home. Why is it we buy knives about every other year?

I've heard that the Mora knives are good homestead knives. Anyone use them?

Kenneth in NC

2. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

We have a bunch of varying kinds of knives around our place. I usually have one or two in my pocket. I like a medium size 3 1/2" folder with pocket clip and a one-hand-opening capability for everday carry. Currently I am carrying a Kershaw 'Dozier' design which is excellent for most tasks and well worth the $20 I paid for it. I usually also carry a smaller, lighter, and sharper pocket folder for more delicate tasks.

The small Victorinox paring knives see a lot of use around our kitchen and are a tremendous value. We have one of the Chinese serrated 'TV' knives and I will have to admit it sees a lot of slicing service in the kitchen too.

I have several inexpensive utility knives for rougher duty. Generally I like high carbon steel blades that will discolor or rust if not cared for properly. However it seems like most knives are made with stainless today.

I like the high carbon French Opinel twistlocks too as an inexpensive, light, functional knive. The #7 is about right for a pocket knive.

Yeah the Cold Steel knives are a good value for the money and I have a couple. The Voyager with pocket clip I have used a good bit but lost one or two as the older plastic integral pocket clip didn't grip as well as it should. I believe they use a spring steel clip now-that would be better.

The Scandinavian knives are good. The cheaper ones make good utility knives and the more expensive like the Helle are excellent hunting knives.

And then there are the axes, hatchets, etc LOL TnTnTn

3. Kenneth in NC

I keep seeing knives that I like. I've put off buying the Cold Steel because I want a 5" Voyager, The SRK and the Land and Sea rescue models. My DW wants the Yuri and the Recon tanto folder. Yikes that's a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ backs.

Kenneth in NC

4. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Cold steel is great -- I have a voyager but the knife i use the most now is a kershaw folder -- pricey and well worth it, my second knife is either a puma or buck sheath knife!

5. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

I Grew up on a farm. I always have a knife in my pocket.
    I've been carrying a Sodbuster jr. in my left pocket for the last
    7 years. And in my watch pocket, I carry a clip type Cutting Horse,
    with a serrated semi-hawkbill, that I picked up at TSC a few years ago.
    It opens with one hand.

In my BoB behind the seat in the truck, I have a Cold Steel Bushman
    knife. They are handy & about indestructible. DSW has the same in hers.
    Under the seat I about always have a K-Bar. Can't hardly beat a K-Bar.
    I sorta like simple knives.
    I gave each one of my D-sons & SIL's a Cold Steel Bushman knife as a Xmas gift, before Y2K.

A good stout machete comes in handy around here, on
    occasion too. The short utility kind work real well. But any good
    one will do. Like guns, a man just can't have too many knives.

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I have so many different types (and duplicates) of kitchen knives, it's scarey. I have a few small pocket knives. But my favorite knife is one we carry on our "pack" when we're out on the land. It's a Schrade+ SG7 - whatever that means (I don't really know anything about hunting knives). I got it for DH for Christmas several years ago. I use it to saw thru small branches with the serrated edge part and the rest of the blade is smooth with a sharp tip. I'd actually like a similar knife that the blade's just an inch or two longer.

Anyone know of good places to buy decent, affordable knives off the net?

7. Kenneth in NC

I've read that the Cold Steel Bushman won't hold a edge under a lot of use. HAs that been the case with you?

What sharpening system do you use to keep your knives sharP?

Kenneth in NC

8. Kenneth in NC

shepherd try your locale hardware store. Ours has a decent selection. Not as cheap as wally world but most are American made.

Kenneth in NC

9. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple of John Primble butcher knives and an old hickory paring knife for the kitchen and I alternate carrying either a case XX hawkbill, a kampking girlscout knife or a kershaw assisted-open lock blade as a pocket knife, just depending on what I will be doing on any certain day. my favorite was a case XX made just like a russell barlow but because of its extra strong back spring and my arthritis in my fingers I can't open it so it is retired

10. Kenneth in NC

kyhippie Have you tried a Meyerco Blackie Collins Aus-8. It's easy to open and close one handed. Mine stays sharp. Not the strongest knife in the shop but cuts apples like a champ.Best thing about it it can be taken apart and thourghly cleaned. :)

Hey just looked in the tool box the S&W hawkbill opens real easy, too.

Now I'm looking for the Kershaw I used last Spring. Hmmmm where did I leave it? :shrug:

Anyone here ever had/used a PAL sheath knife. I've had mine for over 40 years and it was old when I got it. After months of research I found out Remington made it. It rides in the B-O-B cause it is extremely useful. Think I'll add the Schrade Finger to the B-O-B.

Ooops here come DW better hide the knife bag. :angel:

Kenneth in NC

11. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

HI Ken & Y'all,

I've had good luck with the Bushman. I have one out in the back garage
    I 've use for several years.It's a good old knife.

I use a double side Arkansas stone to keep a good edge. On the bigger knives I take nicks out on the grinder, judiciously applied.

Has anyone here used a "Woodsman's Pal" around your place enough
    to give it a workout. I have a Friend who swears by his. He has one in his truck. They are solidly built. I might have to invest in one.
    Heavier than a machete, almost heavy as a good hatchet.
    All kindsa uses for a knife, around the Homestead.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I just don't think that you can beat a K-Bar or a Gerber.

13. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

How many, well that depends on how many I can "collect" over the years...lol
    I carried a Buck 110 lock back in the military, it served me well till I retired it. I went to a Schrade Old Timer (was about the same size as the Buck) and carried it for over 11 years. Now since I'm in an office job I carry Schrade Old Timer pocket knife. They tend to frown on the lockbacks on the hip... and it just doesn't look right with a suit and tie..... ;) If you look I do believe you could find a knife in all my tool boxes, tackle boxes, etc.. Oh and the DW has her own collection in the kitchen... trust me when she is in the kitchen I stay out of her way... :angel:

14. Kenneth in NC

wayne02 I see you have good taste in knives. :)

Shepherd Try here for some good knife deals. http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

Old John You've almost convinced me to buy a CS Bushman

bgak47 K-Bar and Gerber are hard to beat. I have 2 Gerber Multitools.:)

beowoulf90 I understand :goodjob:

Anyone here ever went to a knife show? My wife says that's torture on me because she knows I want one of each. :sing:

Kenneth in NC

Oh the pickle jar of knives went for $3 hmmmm guess who bought it. :angel:

15. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Oh man, what is it with men/boys and knives? lol

My dh collects knives of all kinds, and I have three sons that have been collecting knives since they were about 6 years old. Even my 15 yo daughter has about a dozen knives!

I carry a knife in my purse, instead of a pistol because our gate is a long ways from the house and at night kind of freaky to get out of your car and open/close it by yourself.

Have no idea the brands of the more popular one's in our house but do know that the one in my purse is a bushman.

16. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Knives are so much more useful than Guns, especially if you can't get gun powder! :goodjob:

I got some Case folders, a bunch of swiss knives.

You cannot go wrong with a good knife, keep it razor sharp and it will serve you well! :)

I got some Survival knives with hollow handles, I would like to get a rubber knife(the kind that metal detectors can't pickup, but just as deadly)

If you want a good place to get knives,,,,

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

Smokey Mountain Kinfe works, they even got stuff that is Illegal in some states. Stupid Buerocrats.

17. Kenneth in NC

Knives are so useful and it seems that some are better at cutting, chopping, skinning, slicing than others. I remember reading that the pioneers carried a good many knives so that they'd always have one. They do make good trade items. :goodjob:

My wife says that the kitchen set is hers and she's building her own pocketknife collection. Ahh Ummm she also likes Swords. :bow:

My daughter has one. A Bowie that she uses when we go out in the wilderness (the park, camping, back yard) :)

Kenneth in NC

18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

not iif you order on line from Bud-K

19. Bootlegger0173

Bootlegger0173 Active Member

The Carbon V steel that Cold Steel uses is wonderful stuff, but I don't think that they make it themselves, but that doesn't really matter anyway. Have owned one of their Kukri's, their Trailmaster, SRK, Recon Tanto, Master Hunter, and Bushman knives. Very good quality knives. Hate the kraton handles though. They simply wear out, but when they do, its a simple matter to put another one on. If you are into simple, functional knives, a couple of my current favorites are my Ontario- TAK, and Bark River Knife and Tool- Highland. Also, use my little 12" Ontario machete(after cutting that stupid D-guard off) the most over just about any fixed blades that I own. Helped lead a 6 day/5 night trip to the FL. swamps this year, and thats about all I carried. Here are a coupla pics.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/Bootlegger0173/05Highland-022.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/Bootlegger0173/machetesheath2.jpg