knitting socks

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by MullersLaneFarm, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

My 3rd knitting project - socks!

I'm using hand spun 50% Dorset X Hampshire & 50% black&white brown sheep mill end roving yarn .

Somewhere I saw a wonderful pictorial about the heels. I think my heels are okay (except I have to frog the first one since it's so much larger than the second heel).

I sure would like to take a look at that pictorial again.

To prevent 2nd sock syndrome, I'm knitting both pair at the same time

Thanks all

Nsoitgoes likes this.
  2. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

3. MullersLaneFarm

I had signed up for sockknitters a few weeks ago. Went to sign in there and was told I was inactive. I've contacted the admin and hopefully will be able to get back in.

Thanks!

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I get second sock syndrome...but its never the heel its always the length of the foot or the top...grrrrrr.

5. betty modin

betty modin Well-Known Member

I saw a woman knitting both socks at once- on a pair of circular needles at the train station a year or so ago and I've been trying to figure out how she did that since then. I bought a book on knitting socks on circular needles, but it only tells how to do one at a time. I can do that already- quite nicely- on dp needles! Anyway, if I figure it out I'll share...or better yet if someone else already has, share please. I really do have trouble getting them both the same! I do love to knit socks though. betty

6. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I have made 12 pairs of socks since november. an old trick to get them the same is to use two sets of needles and knit simultaneously. first one cuff then the other, then one heel and then the other and so on. I just hold up and measure and they turn out pretty good.

feedbunns likes this.
  7. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Betty Modin;There is an old system for knitting two socks penecontemporaneously.It is called "the war and peace method". I lost the instructions in a house fire years ago.You should be able to locate them with the title.-

8. Jacki

Jacki Well-Known Member

To knit two socks at a time on circular needles, put half the stitches for sock one on needle A, half the stitches for sock one on needle B. Than put half the stitches for sock two on needle A, and half one needle B.

It helps to have different colored needles. To start knit, one A, then two A. Pick up needle B, and knit two B, than one B. Now you are back at the beginning.

Remember to keep your yarn with the correct sock.

I hope that is clear enough. It is really easy once you get started, but I have found that getting started is the hardest part on any knitted project.

"Sensational Knitted Socks" by Charlene Schurch has patterns using 4 dp, 5 dp, and 2 circular needles. That might be of some help if you can get a copy.

Jacki

feedbunns likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Knitting socks are my most favorite thing to knit. I think it is as close to a magic trick there is...LOL! You start out going just fine, then you get to a point where your just sure you've messed it up really bad (because it no where resembles a "sock" at all!); but then all of sudden, just like magic.....POOF! A sock suddenly appears out of that mess!

feedbunns likes this.
  10. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

I have knitted a pair of socks at the same time on two circulars. You can cast on one of the socks directly on the the circulars, but I have found it easier to cast on the other one seperately, and then transfer to the circulars.
    You end up with half of each sock on both needles. work half of one sock and the switch yarn and do half of the other sock. Turn your work, and using the second needle, finish the second half of the second sock and then switch yarn and complete the second half of the first sock. always work all the way around, don't stop in the middle.
    work the heals with some double points and then put them back on the circulars and complete. It works really well. Just remember when you finish half of a sock you are either going to switch balls of yarn or switch needles. Susn

feedbunns likes this.
  11. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Two Words.

Tube Socks

donsgal

12. MullersLaneFarm

Just have the toes to finish up. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

I picked up directions for knitted felted clogs. Hope to wash up some Icelandic tonight and get it dyed. I'll spin it loose, and see if I can handle the clog directions for knitting project #4

13. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    If any of you have done double-sided colorwork knitting, you can modify that technique to knit two socks simultaneously one nested inside the other.

Use two balls of yarn.

When you cast on, every other stitch is cast on from the opposite ball, taking care not to cross the yarns and entangle the two layers.

The result should be as if you took two separate cast-ons and put them on the needle with stitches alternating, zipper-wise.

Join in the round.

Taking care not to cross the yarns and entangle the two layers, knit alternating stitches from alternating balls of yarn. You may want to purl rather than knit for the 'inner' sock, so that the stockinette surfaces are the visible ones. Whatever makes the knitting easiest for you.

You should wind up with two layers, like you would when knitting a two-sided color-work object, except that unlike the colorwork project, these layers are not attached to each other. Each one is a separate sock.

Using this method should keep the rows in your two socks precisely coordinated.

I suggest learning how to do this by using two different colors of yarn in a tubular swatch so that you can see how it works more easily, before progressing to your actual project where you would more easily confuse what stitch belongs to what sock.

Another related fun trick is as follows:

Cast on twice the number of stitches as you want for width.

Join in a different yarn, and knit/purl every other stitch from alternating sources of yarn, taking care not to entangle the yarns of each layer.

You'll wind up with a pocket that is closed on the bottom, suitable for use as a purse or a sock-toe.

14. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

15. betty modin

betty modin Well-Known Member

Thanks Jacki, Susan n' Emilie...I had figured out the needle part, but couldn't figure out the cast on part from the instructions. I could one on, but not the other one. Currentlhy have three knitting projects, a large repair project and a spinning project going-AND am taking my PRAXIS exam for my teaching licensure in this state on Sat! Not going anywhere fast here this week. I've got some commerical sock yarn that should do well to practice this technique soon-I've learned not to use my precious hand spun for learning....I keep a few skeins of 'nice' commercial stuff for that. thanks again, betty

16. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

Oh My!!! I haven't tried that yet! There is always something new to learn isn't there. Susan

17. MullersLaneFarm

I know silver from some soaping forums. She's taken many folks down the knitting sock road.

18. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

:rotfl: :goodjob: :bow:

I loved that remark! Totally eliminate the heel issue!

Caren

19. MullersLaneFarm

The heel & gusset wasn't nearly as bad as what I heard. Just follow the directions and you're there!

20. feedbunns

feedbunns Well-Known Member

You can learn just about anything on you tube