Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the ladies in my guild knits Socks for Soldiers. Since I don't knit I really don't know much about it but I gather there's a whole group in Roswell that meets and knits for this cause.

I read a blog from the UK and I thought it was interesting to read about knitting for soldiers during the Great War. Here's a link to her blog post

http://dovegreyreader.typepad.com/d...tommy-keeping-the-great-war-soldier-warm.html

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Today, homes for aged vets would like mittens and hats so the vets can go outside in the winter. Ask at your veterans hospital or any veteran’s home.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
There are groups all over the country that knits for soldiers. Helmet liners are especially needed. There are several websites about it.

My mother knits little lap blankets for the local VA. They seem to gobble them up she is always knitting them, she much have knit hundreds by now. They are just garter stitch and not very big, maybe 3'x4', she folds them and ties each one with a ribbon and a little note I think.

Reactions: Kasota

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
They will no longer accept helmet liners. This is a good thing, they are finally supplying the liners. They do need hats for off duty hours.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
They will no longer accept helmet liners. This is a good thing, they are finally supplying the liners. They do need hats for off duty hours.

·
Administrator
19,424 Posts
Today, homes for aged vets would like mittens and hats so the vets can go outside in the winter. Ask at your veterans hospital or any veteran’s home.
The one in my area takes socks and a sock type cover for stumps but you have to have enough patience to work with them. I knit socks for a few elderly vets who have circulation problems and I have to get the stick on grips for the bottoms for the one who doesn't like wearing slippers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts