Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered these knitting needles and wondered if anyone had them. I'm thinking about buying myself some for Christmas, lol. I want a set of circular needles, and I like the wooden ones. They sound way better than the other sets out there, but the only ones I have any actual experience with are the Boye needles, and that was back in the 70s.

Even if you haven't used these particular needles, if you have any opinions from reading the website, or opinions regarding other needles, please feel free to speak up. I haven't knitted in almost 20 years, but am going to pick it back up again, specifically with making socks in mind right now. Thanks! :)

http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting+needles.html

·
Glowing in The Sun
1,385 Posts
I used to use any old needles for knitting, aluminum ones. Then I got into knitting socks, and I got the expensive Addi turbo circulars. They are really nice needles and I like them a lot. Then I got a few nice sets of bamboo needles, circs, dpn, and spn, off of Ebay for a very reasonable price, sold by a Chinese man in Mpls. They are the higher quality ones that have been heat treated to make them less likely to split, so they are a darker color than other brands like Clover. I really like the bamboo needles a lot. I also like the expensive black walnut needles made by Brittany. I have one pair of those.

But I can't answer your question about Knit Picks personally, other than to say many people on the sockknitting Yahoo Group I belong to have discussed needles and the Knit Picks are very popular and well-liked.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a set of the KnitPicks circular metal needles, and I really like it. I did have a problem with one of the cables pulling out of the end, but they replaced it with no questions asked. I also must turn the needles when I knit because if I don't really screw the ends on tight they start coming unscrewed. All that said, I like the sharp points, the smooth join, and the very flexible cables. Circular needles today are nothing like those from the 70s!

I also have some KnitPicks wooden double pointed needles which are beautiful and also really nice to use. I tend to break bamboo needles, but the wood in these is really strong and so far after a couple of pairs of socks, no breaking. I did have to sand a few rough spots on them when I first got them.

HTH :)

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I have Knitpicks Harmony needles...and I love, love, love them! I don't want to use anything else, ever again. Ever. Period. (Did I mention I sorta like 'em?)

I was a bit concerned before I bought some that the colors would be distracting when I worked with multicolored yarns, but that has not been a problem at all. So I now own every size they make. Since I was just getting into knitting when I got them, it made far more sense to bite the bullet and get the interchangables than buy one size at a time in different lengths of the stuff available locally. Cheaper in the long run, good product, and a happy Meg.

I did break one...well, hubby broke one. He did a temporary fix on it, but I'll be replacing it. And use that as an excuse to buy some extras, because if you spend over $50, shipping is free. :rolleyes:

I don't like the case the set of interchangables comes in, though. Nasty plastic thing. I did find a perfect case to hold all my knitting supplies in, with room for socks WIP, so I am content. And I have been rehoming my other needles as I go. Mostly to my sis, who was quite grateful, until I let her try the Harmony needles. Now guess what she wants for xmas??

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm glad to get some input from people using different needles right now, since it's been so long since I've knitted. I've crocheted constantly, but just sort of fizzled out on the knitting back then. But now I'm obsessed with socks and don't like the crochet ones I've made at all.

Lezlie, I looked at the Addi needles, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to go that expensive yet. Maybe if I really do a lot of knitting and want to upgrade I might go to those later. I saw the Brittany ones too, gorgeous, but way too much for my pocketbook just now.

Katherine, was there a reason you chose the metal needles over the wooden ones? Of course, back when I was knitting regularly, metal was all there was, but it seems like more people prefer wooden ones of some sort nowadays. I don't know why, but I just don't like the feel of bamboo needles, and if they're easy to break then I'd probably break them a lot...I'm rough on things like that!

So Meg...do you really like the Harmoney needles?? lol Thanks so much for your viewpoint though, I think you've sold me. I was a little worried about the bright colors being distracting, so I'm glad you addressed that. I didn't like the plastic case either, pretty much figured it was a throw-away. I'd definitely be buying or making something better. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just noticed this thread, I love Harmony Needles but my favorites are Addi Turbos. I know they are expensive but I usually by them off ebay.

I guess my next choice are the harmony. They just feel good in the hands and the colors can make knitting interesting.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We got my daughter these for her birthday and they are beautiful. My one beef is that the circular parts do not include a cable to make a 16" circular needle. The shortest is 24" and that is difficult to make a hat with. My two cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could try using two circulars for the hat, and still work in the round. I find that doing that saves me from buying more needles.
And I noticed on you website you have yarn available, do you still or is it gone for the season.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Organicfarmer, I know what you mean about the shorter cable. They explain it on their website, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. You can buy the solid circular needles in that length, but not the interchangable ones. I figure when I get mine I'll buy the set of interchangables and then add the smaller cabled ones in the solid ones as well.

Marre, I see your solution, but again I'll still have to buy separate needles to get the smaller sizes. I tend to knit loose, so if a normal pattern calls for a size 4 I probably need to go down to a 3 or even a 2, and those sizes don't come in the set.

I think I'm going to have to put these off for a little bit though...I just decided to buy a new sewing/embroidery machine and a serger! :eek: Although the knitting needles are a drop in the bucket compared to that, it seems sort of greedy to buy them all right now...although I AM single and work hard for my money, lol. But hopefully I'll be making some money on the side with the sewing machine, and the knitting needles are just for me.

Thanks for your help everyone!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unfortunately, my yarn is gone for now. This fall has been great at farmers' market. They are currently working on my fleeces again at the mill, but I am not sure when I will get the next batch. Thanks for asking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts