kitty question please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hummingbird, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi all -

I have a rather sad question to ask. Is there a gentle, humane way to put my kitty to sleep? There are health issues to be considered and I may have to address this issue sooner than I want to. She is getting very old, is terrified of going to the vet and only trusts about 3 people. DH is capable and would be willing to use a bullet but in this case, I just can't do that. I would like her to just go to sleep and not wake up. I don't want to give her something that will make her violently ill, or in pain or otherwise traumatized. :waa: I can't even hardly stand to type this request.

Please, I need your help. Thanks.

Nance

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

There's nothing quicker than a bullet to the brain. Bring her outside, give her a nice warm bowl of milk (or some other treat she loves) and let her leave the world doing what she enjoys.

Sorry for your heartache.

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Shooting an animal seems like an awful thing to do, but done right, it is very fast & humane. My Dh had to shoot his horse a few years ago & it wasn't a bad way to go. He shot her in the forehead & she just went stiff for a second, then relaxed.
    There are some other ways to do it, but none of them would be any easier on you.
    Having said that, I have a 16 year old cat, & I don't know if I could stand to have him shot either. There's just not an easy way to do it, but it's the last kind thing you can do for her.
    I'm sorry.

4. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

My best feline friend was 16 and a half when I had to put him to sleep. I took him to the vet, and he wasn't thrilled about that but he was very weak anyway. The vet gave him a shot (sodium pentathol?), and he just laid down his head as if to sleep. It was very gentle, obviously painless, humane and dignified. I could almost see his spirit float up out of him.

For God's sake, don't blow his head off! It is not necessary, and it will damage YOUR psyche more than the discomfort of your cat having to go to the vet.

I am sorry you must do this. It is hard, but you need to be the grown-up about it, and take him to the vet. What you want for her is exactly how it happens with a shot of tranquillizer.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with snoozy. It will be much less traumatic for you to take your kitty to the vet. We had to do this two years ago with our cat Ginger. She was 23 years old and over the weekend lost total function of her body. I think that going to the vet and getting that shot was a great gift to her. She wanted to go...she NEEDED to go, but her body refused to do so.

My heart goes out to you and your kitty. If you want to make the trip to the vet less traumatic for the cat stop by the vet's office and get a mild sedative to give the kitty before you take her in. This way she'll already be relaxed.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Have you asked the vet to come to your house? Some will do that for euthanasia. If your regular vet won't, you might want to call around and find one who will.

7. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Take it to the vet. And, besides getting a tranquilizer for the cat, have one yourself!

A few years ago, we had an outside cat named Bootser. Bootser was retarded and it's a miracle that he lived as long as he did! He liked to sleep in the middle of the road. I could tell Bootser stories for hours. He had his kingdom which he walked every day. But, one day could see he was going downhill, soI brought him into the back porch and made him a smaller kingdom with a heated bed.

The time came for us to say good-bye to Bootser. You know, he had given us so much love and laughs that I felt this mangy ol' beat-up tomcat deserved a good death. We took him to the vet where he quietly and with dignity went where the good kitties go... :waa: I still miss Bootser...

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I agree, get a tranquilizer from the vet , and then bring it in. You don't want to see the cat after a bullet to the brain, or hear the shot :(

Im sorry you have to go through this.

9. TamarackTillie

TamarackTillie Member

Dear Hummingbird,
    My heart goes out to you. I understand too how you feel. As with Snoozy and the others I feel that bringing her to the vet would be the gentlist way to go. That's what we had to do to our cat of 17+ years. She came to me as a stray so I don't know what her true age was. She developed tumors and her kidneys were failing. She laid in my arms as she went to sleep.....
    Paula

10. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I don't know of any non-violent way of doing this at home. You can talk to your vet about a tranquilizer for kitty to be given before an appointment for euthanasia. It would help kitty relax and not be terrified.

((hugs)) I'm sorry Nance. It's very sad.

11. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

If your normal vet won't come to the house, call a large animal vet. We did that when we had to have our Pyr put to sleep. For us it was a body size issue and we didn't want to move such a lage body. Our cow vet came out and did the deed. It also helped that we weren't driving and bawling. :waa: Most vets are pretty sensitive about putting pets to sleep. If the first one you reach isn't, try another. Another option would be to use auto starter fluid (ether). Soak a cloth with it and put it over kitty's face. Just be careful that you don't inhale the fumes.

12. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

In our society, anything else than dragging the poor terrified pet to the vet and having it euthanized via injection is pretty much considered animal abuse. Since I had a habit of adopting the old, sick and unwanted in the past, I had to go through this several times and the memories of putting my sometimes long-time animal friends through the terror of the car ride and the hoopla at the vets and being put on a steel table in a strange-smelling, bare room and having a leg clipped and being stuck with a needle by a stranger seem to hang on forever. I finally decided that my own comfort (giving it the "humane" label) has to take a backseat to the pet's comfort (dying peacefully at home without being put through any last-hour terror). IMO, there's nothing humane about the whole affair if the "easy death" is wrapped in a whole lot of fearful happenings. A dying friend deserves better than that... but it's probably easier on people - not to mention politically correct - to go the vet route.

13. Ravenlost

EEWWW...what kind of vet do you take your pets to Vera?

We took Ginger to the vet wrapped in her blanket from home. She was never removed from this blanket. She lay in my arms, wrapped in her blanket and the vet gave her an injection. It was all very calm, very peaceful and Ginger was surrounded by love and the smell of home. We were at the vet's less than 5 minutes.

As I stated before, if the kitty is terrified of the vet's office, get a sedative ahead of time for it. Give kitty the sedative at home (liquid is easier to administer if it's available), wrap her in a blanket, towel, old shirt, etc. that smells of home and take her to the vet. There's no reason this sad event has to be so traumatic.

14. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Thank you all so very much for all of your sensitive and heartfelt suggestions. I truly appreciate your compassion.

Kali is so terrified of the vet that whenever she has HAD to go, she just freaks out. She will climb every which way she can to get away from the situation, no matter how soothing I am with her. Usually I, the vet &/or the vet tech end up bloody. Not quite sure why as she's had care since she was 6 weeks old but that's how it is. They had to knock her out just to treat her the last time she went. (rotten cat anyway ;) ) Just trying to give her the sedative at home, my DD ended up bloody. She's 12+ now and not about to change her ways. Believe it or not - when she's at home and with me, DD or DH, she's extremely affectionate but still high-strung.

This is why I was trying to ease her out at home. Guess I still need to pray and think about this. Thanks so much. I'm grateful.

With His love,

Nance

15. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

We did the same with our 23 year old cat a year ago...
    She had cancer in her jaw and was at the point that it was hard for her to eat.
    It was a hard one even though we knew it had been coming for a long time.
    She purred right until the end...
    When we had the old lab put down a couple of years ago the vet who is a friend of mine came out to the house to put her down a 10:30 at night.
    It is never easy losing a member of the family and pets are indeed important members.
    Best wishes during these hard times...

16. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

If you do take her to the vet, take along whatever box you will want to bury her in after she passes. That way you won't have her laying on the seat next to you like I did when Ponce passed....it made me cry too hard to see the road.

There must be something you can give her in her milk to make her just go to sleep and not wake up.

17. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

call around and tell the vets about your situation or there could be a mobile vet that could come or any vet that would do it in your home for that matter
    I dont think you should put the kitty through any more truma then she is already going through

and another way to go at home is (if you know how to and are fast enough)
    is to snap her neck if it is done right and fast the neck bone should break and nerves before she feels anypain but I couldnt do because I would be afraid I would not do it right but I have seen some do it

Ohh wait a min I have had to snap a kittys neck before but I didnt enjoy it or even know if i did it right the young kittens throut was crushed and there was nothing we could do about it so I think I did snap its neck but not sure as she was already on her way out
    sorry about the news we have a 22yr dog and I know his time is comming

18. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

that just made me think maybe an overdose on sleep pills might work she would just go to sleep and not wake up

19. Ravenlost

Definitely try slipping the sedative in her food. That's what I have to do with a few of my cats. Tuna fish is always good...

20. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Please don't do the sedatives in the food/milk. This can cause severe convulsions, and though it would probably do the deed, it could be very traumatic for the kitty and you (watching) before it's all over.

There's also the fact that barbituates are very bitter tasting, and kitty may not willing ingest the food or milk.