Kitty pooing on beds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mblouse0813, Dec 20, 2003.

1. mblouse0813

mblouse0813 Member

Hi all, We have had this kitty for a couple months now. I first discovered poo on my bed then it went a week or so and my son found poo on his bed upstairs, then my youngest found poo TWICE on his bed. :no: :no: I'm at my wits end. He is about 6 months old. We have 3 other cats. I know its HIM cause its little poo. All the outher ones are grown. Could fixing him make a difference??? Maybe he's marking his territory. I have put another litter box out too. I need some advice BAD!! When I put him out at night he scatches the door like a dog wanting to come back in. We live in Montana and it gets below freezing at night so I hate to leave him out but if my husband finds out he WILL BE OUT FOR GOOD!!!!! Any Advice?????? Thanks Mary Lou

2. boogeyman87

boogeyman87 Member

usually they're mad at somebody when they do this.If they don't stop I'd put him out in the cold.

3. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

Mary Lou, I could have easily written that post! We also have about a 6 month old male kitten. It's my 5 year old daughter's kitten and she gets so upset every time he pees or poops around the house because she knows he's one step closer to becoming an outside cat. I called the vet asking if we got him fixed would it stop (husband was laid off so money's sort of tight right now). They said it's a behavioral thing and recommended shutting him in a very small room or large cage with food, water and a litter box until your absolutely sure he's only going in the litter box. We used a large rabbit cage, placed on our back enclosed porch. He's been a resident of the cage three times now and I'm still at my wits end. We're in WI so the house is shut up for winter. Can't really open windows to air the place out. I'm pregnant and have a nose like a blood hound! Good luck with your little naughty guy! Becky

4. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Cats are most likly to do this when there are other cats already established in the household. Lock little kitty in a bathroom with his own litterbox for a week (a cage can be too small a space and you want to establish a territory). Give him his food and water in that room. No other cats should be allowed to get in and use that litter box for that week. It will establish a pattern for the kitty and he will feel safe doing his business without the other cats scent to scare him off.

5. wisconsinwco

wisconsinwco Member

maryLou my mother had a single cat that crapped on the bed when ever I slept over at her house. So I put ten or twelve mouse traps on the bed then put a light sheet over the top bodabing bodaboom the cat set off all but two. Three months went by any one could sleep on that bed no problem but then my brother fell asleep on moms brand new couch you guessed it hershy heaven!!!!!!!I asked my mom if she wanted me to booby trap the couch she said no thanks I don't have an inside cat anymore. good luck MaryLou

6. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add one thing...make SURE you get rid of the pee or poo smell the cat is leaving. Even if you clean it and you can't smell it, the cat might. If he's gone there before, he's likely to go there again. You can get enzymatic cleaners at pet stores, feed stores, and hardware stores. It'll clean, deodorize (so you can't smell it), and it'll break down the leftovers you can't smell so that your cat can't smell it any longer.

7. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

My parents used to have a Boston Terrier who did that to me(poo on my bed) when he was mad for me taking long weekends away from home. He didnt do it anywhere at the house as long as I was there once a day. He wasnt even my dog but got mad anyway. One thing we use around here for odors is the Scent Killer stuff we buy for hubby's hunting clothes. We keep it year 'round and use it on what ever we need. After we wash out the soil with regular detergent, then it gets a run with scent killer. We are all sensative to Vinegar(supposed to be good for odor) so this was a good alternative. You can find it in any hunting/rural king/walmart/kmart kind of store. HTH

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the stuff called "out" is a bacterial soup that eats the oaors out for good, and its safe enough i spray the dogs down with it and rub it in their fur to kill the doggy swaet smell snoozing dogs develop..
    www.outinternational.com

yea, k-mart and wal-mart carry it. I spray the house down once a week its works great.
    i have a batch of kittens on my porch with the momie cat and they are ALL using the same pan, and the kittens being kittens starteed pooping everywhere.. but a good spray of out on the poop spots and the kkittens passed them by and opted for the pan where mom was gong..
    for having 7 cats closed up on my 8x10 porch, you cant smell them at all.

the dogs sleep on the beds, and i spray the blankets down every couple of days. it kils the dog smell, and it smells like baby oil... but that fades in an hour or so too.
    great stuff...

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Animals belong outside

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Please, critters don't get "mad" and do these things. They do however get anxious when something has upset them and will defecate or urinate in places where "we" think are inappropriate. As said already, young or new cats will try somewhere else if the litter pans are already in use by more dominant cats. If you think about this you will realize that in nature, when given a choice, cats don't use a common toilet like we do. They seek out different places to themselves. It's not an easy thing for cats to adapt to litter pans. Amazing that they do as well as they do! Also, many people let the kitties have the run of the house without establishing a certain, restricted area with the litter pan in it to form the habit as already mentioned. So, give this youngster an area of its own until it's firmly established in the household and not intimidated by the other cats. Those of us who have bred and raised cats have found that it is a good practice to have at least one more litter box than you have cats on each floor of the house. So, if you have three cats.... have four litter boxes on each floor of the home. Something else that should be mentioned is, cats are usually fastidious by nature and many just won't use a fouled litter pan. More frequent cleaning may be needed. Twice a day is minimum for success. Any less and you will experience problems depending on the cats. Don't forget also, if you are having problems, to try different litter. Cats aren't that much different than us in that some just don't like certain odors and will not use a particular brand.

Good luck with the kitty, and absolutely get it neutered! LQ

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

You need more litter boxes. Three cats is too many for a single litter box. nd they will mess elsewhere, if there's too many using a single litter box. I don't think four per floor is really necessary - I've lived in multi-cat households before, and 2 for every 3 cats seems to work okay.

And the suggestion to clean them more often is pretty right on.

Neutering would help, as well.

As for the contention that cats don't do things because they get mad at you... BWAHAHA!! LQ has obviously never met any of my cat! :eek:

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Our newest cat, a male, Scooter, has started "spraying" when he gets upset with the other cats. I think he's marking his territory. Our other two male cats did the same thing at about his age until we got them fixed.

Getting your kitty fixed might also help.

We keep our bedroom door SHUT so the cats stay off the bed. It gets cold in there in the winter because we heat with a wood heater in the den/living room so now we have a new electric blanket! before that we just piled on the quilts!

Animals DON'T all belong outdoors. Any animal outdoors here gets either eaten by a coyote or run over. My bunnies are in the bunny barn; my two beautiful dogs are each in seperate LARGE fenced areas; the chickens are in their own pen (with chicken wire across the top too) and the four cats are inside. me

13. jenzden

jenzden Active Member

It could be that this kitty needs to get neutered. Any indoor male cat should be anyway. This might possibly get rid of this bed-pooping urge. However, it could be a behavior problem. I have three female cats and all are spayed. My oldest, Sally, is about 14 yrs. old now. For most of her life she was the only cat. She pays absolutely no attention to the other cats other than to try to beat them up if they get too close. During the past few months Sally has started to poo in the corner every now and then. I've been keeping a close eye on her and I've noticed that it seemed to happen if she thought I was paying more attention to one of the other cats. So I've tried to give her more affection whenever I remember to. It seems to have helped since there hasn't been any 'accidents' for a while.
    Maybe your kitty needs more affection? Try it, couldn't hurt could it?

Oh, before I forget. That scent killer stuff is a good idea. If you have the ingredients at home you can even make it yourself. Check out this website for a few home recipes:
    http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=386928&mpage=1&key=scent,killer&anchor#387389
    Let me know if you can't view it. I can cut and paste the info. if need be.

14. swamptiger

swamptiger Active Member

That's what .22s are for... :haha: :haha: