Kitty litter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Feb 13, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

anybody ever used oil dri for a substitute for kiti litter?

2. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Mousecatcher s's outside for she is housebroke. Though she does yak on the kitchen vinyl.

mc

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

no... Ive used dirt, sawdust , sand... then the dollar store started carring 10 pound bags for a buck.

and 15 pound bags of catfood for 5 bucks. (thats 45 pounds for the price of 18 pounds of name Brand! the cats dont have a clue I put it in the meow mix bag! I'm brilliant!)

pelleted horse feed, the "total feed" type that looks like rabbit food works great, and its only 7 bucks for 50 pounds! And since its mostly hay it doesnt smell at all, the clorophil absorbs all the stinky.
    I use the clay for the kittens because I dont want em to lean to look for the feed bins to poop... but my mom uses it in her house its a fantastic... and perpound CHEAP.
    bunnie pellets work better, but are a little more expensive. still, 5 bucks for 25 pounds of super effective litter is a deal, in the house you need all the stinky absoerber you can git.
    try it ...

4. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I never bought any, and didn't want to go to Wally World and stand in line. The dollar store tomorrow here i come. I just love this homesteading forum.

5. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

some one gave us a 50lb bag of oil absorb.. you bet we used it for cat litter... mixed in some baking soda... and it worked great..

we just add a little baking soda to the cat box daily.. it helps with the odor... we have 3 indoor cats at the moment... but one is either headed to cat heaven or being a barn cat.. he is horrible... even though he is fixed..

Lynn in Texas

6. Non Sum

Non Sum Active Member

I wash, dry, and reuse, the cheap clay litter over and over again. One 25lb bag lasts about 9mos.

Daily:
    First get cat, and then poop, out. Collect in quart jars (poop, not cat).
    Then scoop wet litter, and collect in a 2 gal bucket (w/ top).

Wet litter:
    When full, dump into 1/4 full 5gal bucket of water with splash of amnonia added.
    Mix 1 minute with a 5gal power paint stirrer and hand drill (stick will do), let it sit a bit, mix again.
    Spread out on piece of loose screening with garden rake on c.3X5 raised frame tacked with hardware cloth (soil sifter).
    Let rain rinse it (if it is so inclined), and the sun dry it.
    Lift and fold screen to pour dry, oder free, litter into "new" litter bucket for reuse.

Compost the poop separately (by burying with leaves and dirt), and later dig back up and spread on flower garden.