Kittens

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kell, Aug 3, 2005.

1. kell

kell Well-Known Member

I know this is a rabbit forum, but I found these two kittens and have some questions you guys might be able to answer. What is the best, or a good, way to get rid of fleas?
    I have a dog that lives in the house and I was wondering if the kittens could live in my garage for a while. They look like they're a couple months old and the garage is not heated or airconditioned. The weather is pretty mild for summer, about highs of 85, lows 55. Also I was wondering if anyone wanted a kitten. :) hehe
    I live in Springfield Oregon, so if your close and want a one, we have two grey sweet tempered kittens. :help:
    Thanks,
    Kel

2. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I would suggest getting advantage from your vet for the fleas. It's the best thing I know of for cats.

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

3. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to go to the store and get a flea collar. Even if there aren't any for cats there, there probably would be some for small dogs, and those would work just as well. I wouldn't recommend a flea bath. :rolleyes:

4. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure the cat flea stuff is the same as the dog stuff. I would look for cat collars rather than settle for small dog. I know the powder isn't the same, but I don't know about the collars. Cats groom themselves and do a lot of licking on their fur, dogs do this much less, so the formulations could be very different. Just my .02 worth.

Jay

5. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Workind in a veterinary hospital I have learned alot about flea products. You do NOT want to use something for dogs on a cat. They will have a reaction to it. I never suggest getting anything from the store. It doesn't work. Flea collars are good for nothing....they do not work...in my opinion of course! Ask your vet what to use. It will cost more than the stuff at the store, but then again, the stuff at the store doesn't work as well and you end up spending more money on other products trying to get rid of the fleas. Usually cheaper in the long run to just use what your vet prescribes.

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

6. kell

kell Well-Known Member

We put advantage on them because our neighbor who fosters kittens said it was ok. Just a drop in the neck and the fles were gone by the morning! They didn't have a reaction either.

7. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

Well, I hope everything works out ok. You asked us for our opinion, and we gave it to you. Take it for what it's worth. They may or may not get a reaction, but I still stand behind my opinion, that dog products aren't the best thing to be using on a cat. Hope everything works out ok for you with the kittens.

Jay