kittens first shots

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nobs, Aug 7, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

My daughter got a kitten as a birthday gift. I called about shots. $36 for first office visit, $25 for rest of visits for shots, and $8.50 each time for a shot. This goes on every four weeks until she is 16 weeks old. Can I give these to her myself? Where do I get the meds? How do I do it? What are they called? Thanks

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since we actively showed and, subsequently, were actually having litters of puppies, but my mother used to order the needed vaccinations through a supplier ... I honestly don't recall the name of the catalog, but it was one that also had other pet supplies. I would assume that they also sold the needed cat vaccinations, as we used to vaccinate our cats ourselves at the time, as well.

Rabies shots, on the other hand, have to be vet-administered - in which case, I would recommend looking into whether or not your county holds rabies clinics - technically free, though they do request a donation. Sadly, we've seen people who just walk right past the box - people who look like they could've afforded the small amount - so we always make sure that we put something in.

3. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I did some poking around and found: KV Vet Supplies. If you click on the "Pet" tab at the top of the screen, and then on "Vaccines" in the list that comes up on the left side of the new page, it'll take you to their main vaccination page. They have a link to a suggested vaccination time table, too, so that should be helpful.

Good luck with your new addition. :clap:

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new kitty. I would recommend that you take the kitty for an initial exam to uncover any serious health conditions that could shorten the life of your kitty. I would do this BEFORE everybody gets really attached to the kitty (and before you spend a lot of money on it!). The kitty should be checked for Feline Leukemia and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV/kitty AIDS). The vet will also listen to her heart and check for ear mites and fleas. You'll also need to worm the kitty (you can get the meds at KV also). Make sure that the vaccine stays cold in shipment (spend the extra money for the insulated box) and put it in the fridge immediately after you get it. Your kitty's lifestyle will dictate which vaccines she needs. A totally indoor kitty that doesn't get exposed to other than housemates only needs to be vaccinated for FVRCP (aka distemper-given every 3-4 weeks until about 4 months) and Rabies (given by a vet-one time at about 4 months). A cat that goes outside also needs to be vaccinated for Feline Leukemia (aka FeLV-given at 3 and 4 months of age) and possibly FIV (that one would be given by a vet and is a little controversial). She will also need to be spayed between 4 and 6 months of age.

5. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the website. I visited it and have a few more questions. Do I get Feline 4 way, Feline Focus 3 or 4 or 5? Is this enough of a supply to do it every time it needs it or do I need to buy one for every time she gets a shot? Will any one of these give her all she needs except rabies? I'am gonna make an appointment to get her checked out by a vet, and will find out when rabie clinics are in the area. She is an indoor cat. 7 weeks or so old. I think there is siamese in her. Rylie (dd) couldn't speak when she seen her! She is eating canned food and man does her poo stink. Can she eat hard food? Will this make a difference in the smell?

6. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Jeffers is one of the online pet supply places where you can purchase shots for yor kitten...most common are the 4 or 5 way shots..not too difficult to administer yourself . They are also available at alot of farm stores...look in the cooler where they have medicines..dog and cat vaccinations are fairly commonly sold. As far as rabies in alot of places you can give your own shots but to legally be recognized they have to be administered by a liscensed vet.
    Take the time to do a little research before you choose the medicines you give your kitten as there are drawbacks to some ( live vaccines vs. all killed )

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A lot of feed stores carry vaccinations, as well. Ask. Most only carry for dogs, but many carry for cats as well.
    Meg

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Either the 3 or 4 way would be fine. The 5 way contain leukemia and that shouldn't be given until the kitten is 3 months. A good way to estimate how old a kitten might be is by weight. They will weigh about 1 pound for each month (so a 2# kitty is about 2 months old, a 3# is 3 months, etc.). You will need to order one dose for each vaccination she will need. so if she's about 2 months, you will need to order 3 doses (the last 2 should have leukemia in them, if she will go outside).

Yes she can eat hard food. Make sure you keep it available for her all the time while she's little. And YES kitten poo stinks! But she might have coccidia or intestinal parasites that may be making the poo stinkier than it needs to be!