Kittens emerging?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Karen, May 31, 2004.

1. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Our cat had her kittens under the hen house. This was both her first litter and ours...LOL! We can't see under there and are anxious to see the new babies. How soon will it be before she brings them out or they start wandering out on their own?

2. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

When either she or they are ready! Try to catch them when they come out and make them accepting of you as soon as you can......nothing worse than wild kittens from a tame cat(IMHO).

3. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Usually at least 2 weeks - their eyes will be open after about 10 days. If she's also a housecat, she may move them. However, if she's trying to keep them away from dogs and kids, she'll wait until their about 4 weeks old at which point she's ready to train them on solid food and get them weaned - then she'll move them to the food dish.
    If she moves them and you can get to them, Cashcrop is right, they need to have you handle them at least as early as two weeks so they won't be shy of humans and end up possibly being wild.
    We've had two wild females give birth under the house and I had to catch the little squirts once the mothers brought them out to the dish in order to get them used to us so that I could find homes for them. I've had at least two females that I couldn't even catch in the trap so that I could get them fixed and at one time we had nearly 18 cats (including wild kittens) and only 5 of those were my pet cats that had been fixed! :rolleyes:

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

They will be so wild that you'll want to wear gloves for catching them the first time or two .......... and they'll make enough racket, that anyone near will think you're dealing with a WILDCAT.

Hold'em close and cuddle them to settle them down--------it'll take a while for them to trust you.

We've recovered many WILD kittens that were born up in the hay loft.............
    our old house cat, on the other hand, would always have her in a laundry basket right behind the Lazy Boy, so we could get aquaintented with the new kittens immediately.

ENJOY!

5. PitterPat

PitterPat Member

Depends on your cat.
    I had a cat that had kittens outside under a shed. She was very upset that we would not (could not) get her babies out for her. She kept showing me the babies and crying. Left the door open for her the next day and she brought them in! The earlier you hold them, the tamer they will be. I've held kittens that were still wet :)

6. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

I agree, it depends on the cat. We had a sweet little cat show up on our porch this spring, already pregnant. She had her litter out in the barn, but when they were about a week old she brought them up to the house and banged on the door for me to let her in. They're in a box in the back bedroom now.

If you can't get them out, at least go talk to them every day so they get used to your voice. Once they get about 4 weeks old they'll be so rambunctious and ready to explore that they'll probably come out on their own.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Yes, I think talking is good, as well. Especially when you can't get to the babies when still young enough to tame. All my cats are 'wild', but I give them limited meow mix on my patio. I've found that nature (unfortunately) keeps me from having to tame and find homes. AND that the cats here WILL let me pet them at the food bowl, BUT they are very good mousers. (Except in the chicken barn where they can't get in! :eek: )