Kits out of box

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kell, Aug 5, 2005.

1. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have to worry about them anymore, they all froze this morning. The mom just wouldn't take care of them. It was her first litter, I hope she does better with her next.

2. Ltl Ole Me

Ltl Ole Me Active Member

Sorry to hear about your litter, Kell. Just hang in there. Nothing else think on the positive side of it (even though I'm sure your discouraged). You'll be an expert on raising rabbits before you know it. I'm sure your doe will do better on her next litter. It does take some of them a couple of litters to get it all down. I do the strike one, strike two, if they don't get it by the third, she's gone.

Sorry again. I take it your other doe hasn't had hers yet?

3. kell

kell Well-Known Member

No, she hasn't had hers yet, but she looks about to burst. She's also a first timer and hasn't been doing any nest-building. I'm not sure when she's due, though so maybe she has a couple more days.
    Thanks for all your kind words,
    kel

4. kell

kell Well-Known Member

The other doe had kits today...five of them. She made a pretty good nest, but hasn't nursed yet. She had them this morning and it's night now, I hope she will nurse them tonight. ;)

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I know this is SO disappointing for you, Kell. Hang in there. Hopefully it will go better with the second doe. Thinking good thoughts for you.

NeHi Mama

6. Ltl Ole Me

Ltl Ole Me Active Member

I'm so excited for you. Hope things go better this time!

7. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Rabbits generally don't feed their kits in front of others unless the mama is REALLY READY <G>. They only take 5 minutes or so once or twice a day.

I don't know if this was mentioned here or not (sorry!) but what I have done in the past is bring the nestbox inside during the day (when it gets hot outside) and almost every evening. I take the nestbox out when I do chores, stick it inside the cage (whereupon the doe jumps in and feeds them), do my chores and bring the nestbox back inside. I then check to be sure all of the bunnies are doing well (fat little tummies) and that there are none in the back corners where they didn't get a chance to nurse or stomped on (I had a cute fat little bunny get its back broken by the doe when she jumped in- VERY RARE but it does happen during the first week or so).

HTH!
    Terri

8. kell

kell Well-Known Member

So it's okay to bring them in during the day and at night? The second litter is doing better, they were fed last night, not much, but I could tell they had something. I'm just trying to think of a place I'd put them in the house. I've got a dog and now I have two kittens, so it's a little difficult. I noticed that the doe acted possessive towards her kits when I checked on them, are you sure it's okay to take them away for so long?

9. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Rabbits normally feed at sunrise/sunset... so if you take the nestbox out there during that time, the doe will be anxious enough to relieve herself she will feed them <G>.. I havent had a doe refuse to do so..

Where to put the nestboxes? Well, anywhere you can shut a door so your pets can't get to them.. a laundry room, basement room, etc.. NOT a closet though.. rabbits need ventilation!! If you have an enclosed porch that works too.. just be sure it isnt' too hot!!!

I have my nestboxes in our computer room <G>. I can keep an eye on them when I am in here... but we have no indoor dogs/cats either...

HTH!
    Terri