KitchenAid meat grinder

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rita, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone bought the meat grinder attachment to the Kitchen Aid mixer? If so, are you happy with it? I would like something to grind venison. I have a small electric grinder and the small tendons in the meat really "gum" it up fast! Would a grinder of this size cut the tendons or do you need a really powerful grinder. Thanks! Rita

2. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Got one for Christmas last year. No, I am not happy with it. The whole thing is plastic. The hopper is tiny, so you need the tray extension. The set screw that is supposed to hold the grinder assembly to the mixer does not hold firm. More than once, I've been grinding, and had the whole assembly start spinning, flinging meat all over the place. This was even when I had DH, who can tighten things much more than I can, make sure it was tight.

I've used it on 2 occasions, I think, once to make about 40# sausage, and the other day, to grind about 10# of suet. I gave up about 3/4 of the way through the suet. The recipes that come with it use it for wimpy projects like grinding 1/2 cup bread crumbs. I'm sure its fine for that :rolleyes: Your money would be better spent elsewhere.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Mine works fine. The hopper is smaller than I would like , but then again I just did 100 lbs of sausage. For venison it would work just fine. I would like a bigger grinder but we are a family of 6 so when I use it I do alot at a time.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I think it works great. I just did about 30# of venison sausage--ground the meat/fat and filled the casings--last weekend. If you're going to be lazy and keep the meat in huge chunks or try to grind ice cold fat, sure, you might run into problems, as you would with any machine. But if you use common sense, keep your chunks small, etc. you should be fine.

5. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Mine works great. I also have the sausage tubes for it. I can grind enough deer and pork butts to make 50# of sausage in less than 30 minutes. I was concerned about it being plastic as well, but it has worked great for me. I have been making sausage and grinding meat for over twenty years. I wouldn't want to use this every day, but for the occasional job it is great. I especially like the fact that the grinder and the sausage tubes can be stored in the grinder box and put away in a corner of the cupboard. My old lard press/sausage stuffer hasn't come off the top shelf in the closet for the last two years. :D

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the replies. It seems like the majority like theirs and this will certainly help me make my decision. The friends of the Forum come thru with good info once again! Rita

7. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Ok, those of you who love yours, tell me, does the grinder assembly seat tightly on yours? Maybe I need to complain to Kitchen Aid. Its not that I don't know how to use it - I've worked in restaurants where we made 'everything' from scratch & have used the big hobart grinders. Its not me. :waa:

Come to think of it, the plastic one I've got doesn't have an alignment pin that fits into a little hole above where the worm goes in, to keep it from spinning. do yours? Hopefully someone will know. I wanted a KA mixer for 20+ years & now that I finally have one, it doesn't do what I want.

8. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

I've ground hundreds of pounds of meat with mine (not all at one time!) and have never had it come loose. I don't tighten it all that tight, either. Something may be wrong with yours.
    I love mine, too. I just do sausage once or twice a year, so don't need an industrial size. I just got the sausage stuffer and used casings for the first time last week. What fun! Hubby built a smoke shack, and we now have the most delicious smokey sausages, bacon, hams, and hocks. I used up all the funky pig parts that hubby and son won't eat, like the heart, kidney, tongue, etc., and mixed them half and half with pork meat scraps. They love the smokies. Some day I'll tell them...

9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Yes I have one- and am very happy with it- providing you work within it's limitations.It;s not a commercial grinder, so you can't expect it to do the same work.Fine for what I need -making burger from venison.It helps of you cut the meat into strips and also seems to work better if there;s a little frost [ but not frozen]in themeat- don't know why.I also grind fat strips alternating with the meat-and that seems to keep it working without clogging to.I'd like to get the sausage tubes

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Got a problem???If they dont help or are slow PM me I'm in the other end of the building. Actually I think customer support is down the road R&D is in this building. I've only been here 6 months but as far as I can tell the customers rule the show. I will be gone on vacation next week.

mikell

http://www.kitchenaid.com/custserv/service.jsp

11. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Mine has a small pin that seats in the recess on the mixer to keep it from spinning. That, in combination with the thumb screw, keep it firmly in place on my mixer.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

It isnt a commercial grinder,for the homeowner I think its fantastic,love ours.Sounds like a defective unit made it to the poster,PLMK how they treat you with a repair.We usually grind 10-20lbs of round steak at a time,it is very good for that.Just dont overload it and its fine,beats a hand grinder any day.
    BooBoo

13. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Ours appeared to be leaking oil from around the silver band just above the spinning part...you like these technical terms?? :haha:

Anyway Mrs oz contacted Kitchenaid and I am not sure what the response was but it hasn't been repaired or replaced.

All that being said it works fine and maybe it has magically fixed itself...or of course run out of oil and is getting ready to explode...

We have the grinder and it works fine,we want to get the sausage stuffer and try our hand at making our own.

14. boren

boren Well-Known Member

There's a few different kitchen aid machines out there, and course many that have been around for ever. Perhaps it works better with some than others?

I've only used mine a few times and <10lbs each time. The first time I used it I didn't get the little post locked in, it spun around. What a mess. Have worked fine ever since then though.

15. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    Yeah,I like those technical terms.Sounds like me lots of times trying to explain something.
    BooBoo

16. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I have one and am very happy with it...it also has the screw in lock on the right side that holds the attachment in place.It's a smaller household version but have no problems getting it to do what I need...makes great bread with the dough hook. Have always had great experiences with the Kitchenaid company itself too... husband called once to price a replacement piece as one got broken and they replaced it for free after a bit of talking, it would have been $15 or $16 + s&h so to get it at no cost was very nice.

17. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Ours went through ten deer last season, so we have no complaint with ours.
    Mamabear

18. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Whats one of these bad boys cost?
    I take it u need to buy a different attachement for making sausage? how much for that????
    sounds like a winner tho, I,ve allways wan't to make my own smoked sausage and garlic and nice spicy salty dried peperonis!!!!!

19. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Mine was $50 for the grinder attachment, and I paid about $9 for the sausage tubes on eBay. I suppose you could find the grinder attachment cheaper on eBay, as the price I paid was full retail price (something I'm not proud of, but it's worth it).

20. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

:( bummer I just realized that this is a attachment for something else??? What is a kitchenaid ? or whatever its called (the thing that one attaches the grinder too)