kitchen waste

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sylvia, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Hello All
    I live in zone6, which means that my last frost date is March 15. When can I start feeding my outdoor compost bins? When could I expect to see some heat out of them? I've got some 5 gallon buckets of kitchen waste waiting.

Didn't get any red worms because the kitchen only heats up when I use the stove or oven. Sometimes my butter freezes on the counter! We only heat the rooms we're in and that only to 55 degrees.

Thanks.
    sylvia

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I feed my compost pile all year, even over snow. I figure when it's good and ready, it'll do it's thing. I do have, right next to the pile, several large bags of leaves I snatched from roadsides to "top" my waste with, in layers.
    Don't know if that's the right way, but it works :)

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we feed ours all winter too putting a bit of rabbit or chicken bedding in as well .starts working when it thaws out.sue if leaves are working must be the right way!! just cause you have not found it in a book if it works write your own!!

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Now that would be an interesting book....wonder if they'd put me in a straight jacket :haha:

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Feed that pile year-around! No kitchen scraps ever get away from me! I use both the pile and tumbler methods. Big tumbler puts out a batch of compost every 3 weeks when warm weather arrives. Winter tumbler batch is always just dry shredded leaves. Kitchen scraps continue to be added all winter and tumbler turned until the contents freeze. By spring, it's a perfect Carbon/Nitrogen ratio for a super rich batch.

Never a problem finding carbon material throughout the summer. Fifty 42-gallon construction cleanup bags were stuffed with a mix of maple and oak leaves last fall. Those are stacked around the foundation of the house like hay bales. They will be shredded in the spring and used all summer in the tumbler and for mulch.

Martin