Kitchen remodel

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Theront, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

Ok, I need some wiring advice for my kitchen. I am in industrial maintenance and have to admit don't keep up much on the codes for residential. I am remodeling our kitchen and will be setting a subpanel and wiring the kitchen fresh. Can anyone tell me what circuits need to be separate from the others? I am aware that they all need to be 20amp circuits for the kitchen with the exception of lighting. I will have a dishwasher, disposer, rangehood, range (requires both 230vac and 115vac), microwave, and outlets every 4 feet. I am tired of never having enough power for the kitchen. I appreciate all replies.

Thanks
    Theront

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

No they all don't have to be 20 amp. Dishwasher seperate, As many 120 volt circuts as you can 220 for the stove even if you have gas

mikell

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

code calls for the circuits for the surface appliances on the cabinets to be GFI protected. The 220 volts circuit for the cookstove will share one leg of the 220 thru the stove wiring to get 110 volts

4. backtobasics

backtobasics Member

we are allowed only 2 GFI outlets per circuit. Bring power to the first GFI outlet and the second one from that outlet. Refrig always on its own, microwave on its own. I always use 20 amp 12/2 wire.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if you only have a light and timer on a gas stove why do you need 220 as they run on 120

6. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

The stove was my mistake, it is only 220vac. Here is what I am planning. I will use a seperate circuit for the microwave, refridgerator and the dishwasher/disposer. All the outlets will be 20 amp with GFCI. All my lighting will be seperate at 15 amps. There are 3 seperate sections of countertop and cabinets, each section will have its own breaker. I am anticipating 6 20amp circuits for the kitchen and 1 lighting circuit. Does this sound logical? I am looking up to make sure I don't overlook anything. Thanks
    for the replies.

Theront

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i put my fridge on its own breaker then i put 5 outlets on a 20 amp. works fine