Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having this cold snap and it has been great to test the new Kitchen Queen. Wondering about the amount of wood folks load in them. We have done the 4 smaller fires getting bigger every time. This morning I was trying to get house temp up so went bigger. I got temp up to 64 in about an hour and a half. Closed back damper most of the way after fire was going and closed oven hatch to move heat under oven. Question is how many pieces of splits do you put in stove to get the temps (70 or so) that folks are saying they get with it? How long does it take to get there? Thanks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do you have a stove top thermometer? Using good dry wood, it will only take a little over an hour for my thermometer to hit 700 degrees. That's very hot for the cooking surface. As far as getting the temperature in the room to where you want it is more variable. How well insulated, outside temps , etc. The smaller split logs are great for hot fast burns. Larger un split logs for overnight slower burning. Opening up the oven door gets a lot of heat into a room. Judicious use of a fan for ccirculating the warm air. Hope this helps.

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
Bubbas Boys, isn't this a new house that you built? How is your insulation? I'm also in central Illinois and my house hasn't dropped below 62º and I haven't used any heat source yet. Maybe you need to boost your insulation before winter?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is a new house. Honestly we have to attic insulation. The blowing ,machine is on reserve with our name on it for this Friday. I know it will make a difference I am just trying to figure out the functions. We burnt Sunday morning and heated the place up real good, wasn't very cool out but still did good. My wife also canned 12 quarts of pasta sauce on it as well as baked brownies. I was very impressed! haha Thanks.

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
Yes it is a new house. Honestly we have to attic insulation. The blowing ,machine is on reserve with our name on it for this Friday.

The attic insulation will make a HUGE difference!! Put at least 2' up there. It doesn't cost that much and is well worth it. I saw the kitchen ceiling is tin. Have you sealed the joints to stop air penetration? That will make a difference too.

Sorry, no kitchen stove experience, just insulation in Illinois experience! :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. We blew insulation last Friday and yesterday and today we woke up to outside temps in the low/mid 40s. The house is still 66. Getting more positive on the stove doing it now. haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts