Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing small moths flying around my kitchen and when I opened my cupboard I had a small infestation of them. I threw out any opened packages but I don't know what caused this. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Probably from infested flour or cereal products.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I had what sounds like a similar problem at our last house. It finally took taking EVERYTHING out of the cabinets, cleaning with bleach water or pine cleaner (I can't remember which) and sealing everything up in airtight containers. On the up side, it worked!

Blue

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ksfarmer, are the products infested before I open and use them? ( oh yuck I hope not!)

Blueberrychick, fortunately (!?!) I didn't have alot of stuff in the cabinet and I cleaned with pine cleaner too. I hope I don't have to seal everything I open and use.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We had this problem years ago, I now try to put all grain products in the freezer overnight before sealing in airtight containers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This happened to us about 3 years ago, and I still panic if I see anything flying in the kitchen area. I would ** think ** that I had found everything and then a week or two later would have another nasty surprise. It's not really bad until you start to see the little baby grubs crawling across your ceiling -- whatever you do, do NOT go away for a week right now!

This is gross if you think about it, but you can put everything from your cupboards into the freezer for a couple of days and kill any "hitch hikers" you have.

Cereal moths eat all kinds of grain and paper products too. You have to wipe everything down with bleach, including all the shelves and the doors, cans, anything with paper. It is soooo yucky -- you have full sympathy from my neck of the woods. At times it seemed like the best bet would be to move and leave everything behind and just start over again:p Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's not really bad until you start to see the little baby grubs crawling across your ceiling

We had an infestation about a month ago with the tiny moths and spiderwebs. I threw out three trash bags full of stuff (seems to have started in a sealed bag of flour tortillas). Thought we had gotten everything. Since then I see those tiny grubs every once in a while. I finally found a bunch of them in a corner of a cabinet. Hopefully, I've gotten all of then now!

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I hate those things. yuck. Somewhere or other you'll find an old bag of flour, cereal, grain, macaroni, cakemix...something that has flour in it. Also, check your bird seed for the feeders. When you open the box/bag you'll find either moths or chrysalis, or small cobwebby like things. That's where they're coming from. Get rid of that, and you'll most likely get rid of the moths.

Only takes ONE female moth to get it all started. They feed on flour usually and some types like the birdseeds (millet particularly and cracked corn). 1 female will lay 300 eggs. only takes 4 weeks for the buggers to hatch.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Sometime they are in the products you buy from the store. I had them once and had to throw out lots of cereal, corn meal and flour. I then cleaned my shelves real well and put out DRIED BAY LEAVES. Just take them out of the jar and put one or two on each shelf. Then when you buy new stuff empty it into glass jars or put it in tupperware, anything that you can seal to keep the nasties out. I also put bay leaves in my container of flour and corn meal. It's now been about 10 years and haven't had any problem since.

If it's something I'm going to keep long term I freeze it before I seal it up with the bay leaves.

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
Had them years ago and then just a few months ago-plus we did a thread here on them a few months ago-I'm wondering if they kinda go in cycles...anyway they're a PAIN!

We got rid of MOST of 'em by taking everything out of the pantry and wiping down w/oragne oil-diluted to about 2 oz per 1/2 gal. Problem is, they lay their eggs in elusive places & sometimes you can't get 'em all. Had popcorn in an airtight jar-not used for a while-opened it & pouing it into the pan -hot on the stove-whoops-worms! UGH!!!

Persistant buggers. :(

Patty

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've been using bay leaves to repeal the moths for a long time and it seems to be working. They won't protect what's already infested so I never keep anything in original containers and when I buy packaged grains I always carefully inspect the bags and boxes for points of entry. I also don't bother spiders, unless they get in my way. They kill and eat a lot of vermin that would otherwise bother me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can also buy "traps" at a hardware store. They use a pheromone bait to get the bugs to lay their eggs inside the traps instead of in your food. I had to get one for my parents' house because they were not able to keep up with the infestation and I got very very tired of cleaning out their pantry again and again.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all of you and your suggestions. I was doing ok till I read about worm/grubs ....I was kinda hoping they started off flying.......yuk! I haven't seen any of those , I think I'm going to have to wear my glasses when I cook from now on!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I do not trust anything except sealed buckets etc. I freeze anything precious and store in airtight containers or risk losing it. They can eat through cracker packages etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We got the pantry moths from our bird seed and pelleted food. We don't have the freezer space to stick the 25lb bags in. What we do is vaccuum every day the moths and worms off the walls and ceilings. We build a bird room in the basement and they are contained there.
Before we moved to the new house 3 yrs ago, we had a room for the birds & the moths actualy made it to the kitchen. Boy! did we learn about the pantry moth traps. It still took a couple of months to get rid of all of them.
Cathy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts