Kitchen Herbs Need Help !!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Helena, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Have 6 potted herbs on the window this winter for fresh herbs...they are beginning to look bad. Keep them moist...not wet...BUT they are near the wood stove. Any advice to what supplements I can put on them ??

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

OH !! Forgot to mention... I also have lights on them too and no "bugs" I can see !! Thanks Again !!

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "look bad"? What do they look like? Are you feeding them occasionally? Have you checked for root bound? Mine wouldn't like it near the woodstove.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Ah! once again the iniquitous tiny little itty-bitty pot for a plant that likes to be able to spread out its roots and get nice and big - like trying to fit a Mach truck engine into a mini-minor car body, really. Probably sitting in a saucer of water, thus keeping the roots constantly waterlogged. Roots all scrunched up like bent straws, making it impossible for the plants to feed. Plus the exposure to strong artificial heat and emissions from the wood stove, and leaves choked with grease from cooking, and dust, and I'll bet the poor plants don't get much sleep at night due to their required curfew being ignored. Plus the inadequate light through a glass window, which filters out certain rays from the sun which they need for survival. Plus I'll bet all the doors and windows are shut to keep out the cold air, so there's not much air circulation.

Aside from those things, I don't think you need to fix anything.