kitchen garden(longish)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CrazyLadyMs, Feb 17, 2004.

1. CrazyLadyMs

CrazyLadyMs Member

It hasn't rained for 2 whole days. So I planted my onions today, hope its not too late. My goal is to have a cottage-style kitchen garden. I have a 8' square little patio, that I made, With chairs and a table for morning coffee. Plants I already have: confederate jasmine, bee balm, chives, peppermint, rosemary, ornamental grasses, a white climbing rose called Lace Cascade, and some mini rambling type roses. they are all useful in their own way if only for lifting the spirit. Plants I'm going to add this year if all goes well(crossing fingers, knocking on wood) : brandywine tomatos, long cayennes, arugula and naustrium for me, bunnies and chickies, roman chamomile. also Queen Anne's Lace and morning glories just because they're beautiful. Truely good therapy to see.
    I planted the onions along my walk and edges of the tomato and pepper site for companion planting. I'm going to put the garlic on the other side of the little patio. I want the tomatos close this year so I can really baby them, they like that. oh yea I got Johnny-Jump-ups too, Love them, for under my tree. Also this year I planted some muscadines, even if they don't fruit they have a handsome leaf, to make a privacy wall.
    Questions: If you have lots of earthworms in your soil that is a good sign, right? And How long till my grapes do fruit?
    Well incase you didn't notice I have a passion for plants, its a family heirloom this greenthumb. It won't be long until I need to start my seeds. I know lots of you still have snow, but I'll get mine when the dog days get here and the temp is 100+ and the humidity is almost as high. :no:

Thanx for Letting Me Share,

Katy

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

your garden sounds lovely. it's still wintry here in the ozarks, tho, hopeful me, i think i see signs of winter letting up. but that's me. when it snows in march i call it a spring snow.

earthworms in ur soil are a very good sign, at least from an organic-gardening viewpoint.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

:haha: Since I have well over a foot of snow on the ground now I am experiencing some major "zone envy" today :waa: But, as you said, come summer I will still be able to really enjoy the out of doors so I am trying hard not to complain. Planting onions huh? Oh how I wish.

Like Randal said, earthworms are very good thing. Can not help about the grapes, as I am clueless as to what happens in your zone. Your garden sounds lovely, and very much like what I am trying to achieve out my kitchen door. Gardening is so much fun!!!

4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Oh Katy, your kitchen garden sounds lovely!! Sounds like we both have the same passions.
    Bought a pack of Johnny Jump up’s myself, 97 cents at Walmart, amoung other seeds that just jumped into my basket :haha: . Your right on the money saying all plants are useful, lifting the sprits and all, how else could I justify 35 rose bushes.
    I’m pretty sure Queen Anne’s lace and Morning glories are poisonous to animals, so be careful.
    Going to plant my onions and garlic later this week, supposed to rain big time on Wednesday.

Also gets very hot here, 100+, but it’s a dry heat, good tomato weather, not going to plant 24 this year, too many even with all the canning. Dogs help by eating some, chickens did their best. Took to feeding them to the neighbors horses, my goodness what messy eaters they are!!

Can you post a picture this summer when you patio is at it’s peak?

Kris

5. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Krisw, I know what you mean about plants jumping in the basket. Pioneer market has roses on for two dollars each, climbers to. Every time I go to that store I fight with them , they jump in I throw them out . So far I have bought five and a pretty yellow one with a dallia type flower keeps trying to get me to take it home to. :)