kitchen bar help.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Sep 4, 2006.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I finished laying the kitchen floor and will start on building the bar that seperates the kitchen from the den in about 1 hour. I have looked up bar stools and they seem to be about 30", So do I build the bar the same hight as the counters, which are 35" or do you build it higher? thanks.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

they make 3 differant size stools bars are a little higher then counter im 5-11 and they come about to my waist

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

a bar is 44 inches high

4. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I will make the eating side of the counter(Den) higher then the serving side(kitchen). This would make the kitchen view from the den be from the waist up. The view would alow for conversation and an open feeling but you would not see every little thing on the counters in the kitchen. I hope I described that ok.... Good luck with your work, sounds great.

5. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

I think the average table and chair sets have the top of the chair bottom 12 to 15 inches below the table top. If you have a table and chair. Measure the distance. Does it fit you? A table top too low will cause a back ache a table top too high will cause your elbows to hit and be uncomfortable. This is your project so you build it the way you like it. You can build it at cabinet height and then cut the legs off of the stools if need be. If you want a bar top that is taller than your stools will work for, they make ajustable leg ends that will allow for around two inches of height extention. I personally like a table high bar. If you have more people than stools, even a folding chair will work to fill the gap. Hope I helped.
    Good Luck,
    Janette

6. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Thanks I finished it up last night, going to sand and stain it today.