Kit with a gashed side

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MidwestMatthew, Mar 4, 2017.

1. MidwestMatthew

MidwestMatthew Well-Known Member

We had two more litters a few days ago. I noticed this morning that one of the new kits has a deep gash about a half inch long in his side, about where the ribcage ends. I assume the doe's nails got it somehow. The injury seems to be closed up, but the poor little guy flinched when I just barely touched it so it's obviously still sensitive. He seems strong and otherwise uninjured.

Should I treat the injury somehow, or leave it alone? Or should I just say "nice knowing you" and cull? I don't like to see animals suffer, but I don't want to cull unnecessarily either.

2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

I am always of the opinion it is best to try something to fix a problem.
    So if you can, then you learned something for the future.
    I was thinking maybe a antibiotic cream. But then I thought
    mineral oil in case another baby or mom licks it. Mineral oil is about
    $ 2 a bottle at Walmart. If you got flies around, then you might be
    looking at a fly strike. Make sure the nestbox stays clean.

3. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

My go to is Blu-Kote for injuries to any of my critters. Just be sure to wear disposable gloves when applying :)

Fire-Man likes this.
  4. orea

orea Active Member

I've used honey on rabbit wounds without issues, it's edible and antimicrobial. More sweets than they should eat, but a dab wont hurt. We treated a newborn with a neck wound and it survived. We used silver chitin bandaid spray on a buck's major leg wound and it healed inside A week. We usually feed comfrey to injured rabbits to speed healing.

5. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

How is the kit doing? Has it improved any? Sometimes they will come right back without any intervention at all.

6. MidwestMatthew

MidwestMatthew Well-Known Member

It actually seems fine now. I went to find the wound and can't see anything wrong at all. I don't know what else it could have been, but at the moment, either I was mistaken about it being hurt to begin with, or it's healed up completely.

7. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

The gash was probably from Mother rabbit's toenail. Rabbits can heal up fast. Glad the little kit improved. Have a good day!

8. LuckySpotFarm

LuckySpotFarm Active Member

I had something similar happen from one of my does, she was a first time mom and we believed stepped on him. We ended up not messing with it and just monitoring. He healed up VERY quickly and was perfectly fine. We were worried that with her being a new mom us adding any new smells may cause her to reject the whole litter. Now that I know all my rabbits well I'd probably put something on it since they're all proven does and are use to us touching their babies now