Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, it's been sometime since I've been on with y'all. We're getting ready to breed our does again and I want to be proactive this round of litters. The last three times we bred them, at least one of the kits had injuries with their feet/legs due to them jumping out of the nest when they were really small and getting caught in the holes of the cage bottoms. Some of have lost their foot or had severe injuries that took a lot of work to heal. Our cage bottoms are 1/2"x1".

Does anyone have a remedy for this? I wonder if there is a temporary plastic sheet, netting of sorts that could be placed in bottom of cage until the kits get a little larger. I've tried screens (like the one you use on the windows) but that didn't resolve it completely. It has to be something that can be easily removed for regular cleaning.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I out a layer of hay around the nest box and leave it there until I remove the box.

I take my nest box out at about three weeks, and put in a box with sides, a back and a top so the kits have something to huddle in but have to do no climbing in or out. Some people turn the nest box on its side once the kits start getting out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts