Kit greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by PonderosaQ, Jan 14, 2004.

1. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone here got a kit built greenhouse? Wondering if I might be smart to start with a kit and customize it. Doing everything from scratch is getting tiresome. House and yard will need a lot of work just to move into to (only two 1/2 weeks to go till I move!). Looked at the Rions but they seem to have lots of small parts, not good if you have bad hands. Wondering about the Essex Greenhouse line now. Any comments gratefully accepted.

Liz

2. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

Nope. I’m too cheap.

A dinky 6’x4’ PVC based kit costs at least $200, more from Charlie’s Greenhouses. I can do the same for $40 at the hardware store.

I know a lady in South Dakota who built a 30’x15’ greenhouse for $220. Sweat equity is the way to go.

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

You're certainly right if your age and health will allow it. I have a muscle disorder and need all the energy and strength I can muster to get the house liveable and a garden in!

Liz

4. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Maybe you can find a friend or neighbor to help build it in exchange for harvest rights. I know your pain, I am too disabled and need my energy just to survive. I luckily have a hubby who complains of why I have alll the hobbies and he has all the work, hehehehehe :yeeha: .

Kathy

5. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

Well crum. I disabled too, and I can do it! I hate hearing folk say, “I’m disabled, I can’t do it!” Gives me a bad name.

$830 a month. That’s all that disability would’ve paid me. So after I had my colon removed, I was able to do more than just sit on the can all day – and I went back to work. Since I need a liver transplant, the health insurance coverage is nice anyway. But I don’t have time for much else than work. By the time I finish a day of doing nothing more than driving a desk, the fatigue from owning a mostly dead-liver has wiped me out so much that I’m lucky to be able to cook dinner, much less play with my children.

But see, I’m better that most folk. I can do more in a day than a non-disabled person can do. That is how I keep fighting to stay alive. By every day going out and proving that I am better than other people. It’s arrogant, but it is my crutch for survival. It’s kept me alive for seven year longer than then the doctors said I could even hope to live for when I was diagnosed. And that’s pretty darn good in my opinion.

6. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Sorry Seditation, I dont want to give you or anyone else that has disablities a bad name. Everyone has there own abilities. I am by no means letting my health get the best of me. I strive everyday to do as much as I can. My body will nto let my mind do as much as I think I can. I heve been on deaths bed and recovered quite nicely numerous times. My body and mind just keep on taking the beatings. The drs. are not sure how long I will last I tell them as long as God wants me too. I have to keep my head up for myself and my family, but i know I have my limits, building things is one of them.
    Kathy