Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe due Friday. Last nite when I did my check this doe was gathering hay determined to make a nest in the corner. Wasnt going to give her the box till tonite. Did I get a rush thinking I goofed. I put her in my executive suite for kindling. LOL Its made from a Viking sewing machine, it made a beautiful nesting box I can pack lots of hay to keep warm. In 15 minutes she was pulling fur. This morning I was expecting to find kits. But Noooo. But she does have the nicest nest my does have made so far. So I guess my question is. With all the fur pulling shouldn't she have kindled last nite? She has me really confused. I was so excited to go to the barn this morning expecting to find kits.

Linda

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ya....some are wierd!

I had a lionhead doe start getting everything ready, fur pulled and everything WAY WAY WAY early...didnt end up having them until the day before they were due...

Is this a first time mom? That could explain it. She may not know what do do quite yet...she will figure it out. SHe wants to do a good job!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I've had experienced does carrying "hay-bones" around (with that goofy expression they get) two weeks before they were due!

Rabbits - go figure. :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
It's a conspiracy to keep us guessing and make sure that we never take them for granted. If you sneak up on them at night and listen, you may hear them planning out how each will behave in order to drive you crazy. ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a conspiracy to keep us guessing and make sure that we never take them for granted. If you sneak up on them at night and listen, you may hear them planning out how each will behave in order to drive you crazy
I think your right. She looked out at me this morning looking so inocent.
:nana:

She is a first time doe and I dont know how old she is. On the young side but I cant be sure. Her two sisters are due next week. I hope they didn't talk with their sister to play the same games. :confused:

But I do love my bunnies. Tom keeps saying the barn isnt getting any bigger but he wants me to keep the girls bred. Now where do I put all these cute little guys? :rolleyes: He just put on an 8 x 8 addition to the barn. Made extra large cages to grow buns out in. So only have 4 in that section.

Linda

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well she finally had her buns last nite. With this cold snap I am afraid to pull them out to count them but I can feel at least 3 of them. They are toasty warm and she has closed the hole with hay so no cold can get in. I sure wish the other does could take lessons from her. We are getting snowed in at the moment and the cold will be getting worse. For me this is a test of patience. I am so afraid to leave them to their own mother. Its all I can do not to go out there and bring in the babies. Plus these might have some colored popples in there besides white. Will be interesting to find out.

Linda

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I breed my does two at a time.
One two weeks ago building and destroying nests over and over again. Due tomorrow. no babies yet.
The second doe...NOTHING. No sign of being preggers at all. Kindled five kits today. They are tiny kits so I"ll bring them in for the night, I'll do that til their hair comes in. But five kits with LOTS of fur pulled. I was surprised.

Still waiting in miss silly let's make our 20th nest! And this morning I thought for sure she'd have them as she growled at me for the first time ever. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts