kindling problems

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GoldenWood Farm, May 7, 2005.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I have a NZW doe that's about 1 year old. She kindled once before and raised six
    with no problems. Her second litter, just kindled last night, had half in the nest, half out. One was partly eaten. What would cause something like this?
    She's on a 18% commercial feed. The kits also look sort of wrinkled
    not dehydrated, but wrinkled like they took to long of a bath. They also
    have more fuzz on them than normal for newborns........ Now that I looked at the records, she kindled on day 33/34. Hmm. I also noticed, a few days before
    kindling, she seem a little depressed.

Thanks
    Judy Norquist
    Canby, OR

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Judy... it sounds to me like you may have a fat doe and which, in turn, has caused a complicated delivery. The "partly eaten" kit is the result of the doe attempting to help pull the kit out with her teeth... or, if the belly section was eaten, she merely got carried away when cleaning and eating the afterbirth. Half in and half out of the nest box is most likely due to stress... can you sit still when upset or nervous about something? In any case, it does sound like she had a rough go of it.

Pregnancy and delivery is a very stressful time for any animal (and including humans). Depression during the last few days is common due to discomfort. Rabbits tend to "go off feed" for a couple of days before delivery, too.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

From feeling her, I figured she was a good weight. I usually feel my rabbits once
    or twice a week to see how their weight is and adjust feed accordingly Her backbone and ribs are easily felt, no excess padding.If anything, she's probably on the lean side. Also, she was not on free feed. She was being fed
    around 1 cup a day. After what was evidently a stressful kindling, she's now doing fine and back to her usual self.

Thanks for the information.
    Judy