Kindling or False Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BeatrixP, Dec 17, 2004.

1. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

I have been trying to breed a pair of 8 month old rexes for the last two months. Neither have been bred before. The buck has appeared to be ready for a while, but the doe was never receptive. She would always tuck tail and run away or plant her butt firmly on the ground. They always got along well so I frequently left them in an outdoor run together without watching them the entire time. I always observed at least the first 5 - 10 minutes when they were together and never saw anything but a frustrated little buck. :D

I put her in his cage last Wednesday thinking she may be more receptive in close quarters. No luck, so I put them out in the run together. She still wasn't receptive and ended up biting the buck and growling after a couple of minutes, which she had never done before, so I separated them again.

Three days later, she started stuffing her mouth with hay and building a nest in the corner of her cage. I put the nest box in and over the next couple of days she constructed a beautiful nest with the hay but has shown no signs of pulling fur. She is a little nervous and jumpy, but very calm and recpetive when I reach in the cage to rub her. She seems to be getting really fat, but is eating and drinking normally. Hand fed, with recommended amount of pellets each day, supplemented with a little hay every couple of days.

This is only my second time around with trying to breed. My first doe built a nest several days before she kindled so I wasn't concerned at this delay. But, today is the 7th day since this doe started building the nest. Is it common for the doe to build a nest and then not kindle for this long? I've read that false pregnancies are relatively rare, so I am eagerly checking her box every morning. When should I know if it is a false pregnancy and how long should I leave the nest box in? Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give as many details as possible. I would really appreciate any ideas, advise, or suggestions. Thanks.

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Since you don't know her "Due date" it hard to say. We had a mini-rex recently give birth 7 days after her due date. Unfortunately I had given up when she was 4 days overdue, I palpated her, could feel nothing and removed the nest box. I was shocked and saddend when i went out the morniing of the 7th day and found three kits, two dead on the wire and one alive on the ground. Sadly, the one on the ground only lived one day. So now i will leave the nest box in for at least a week past there due date. Give her a few more days to be sure can't hurt. Good Luck, Randy

3. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Thanks for your input, Randy. Still no kits, but I'm leaving the nest in, just in case. Sarah

4. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Just an update, in case this could help somone else. I took the nestbox out after 18 days and assumed I had a fat rabbit with a false pregnancy. Left some hay in a couple of days and she showed no signs of nest building so I removed the hay. Went out yesterday morning and her cage was full of fur so I immediately put the nest box with lots of hay back in. Within 3 hours she had kits. I haven't checked closely to see how many yet but I know at least 3 alive and healthy. Will check them later today to see how many and if everyone is o.k. So - 22 days after she first started building a nest, they were born. Amazing. The moral of the story for me is to practice better husbandry and not just leave them alone together when they are of breeding age. That way, I'll have some idea of when the babies are due. Sure love having those babies!

5. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I just wanted to add what we've learned. Keep good records. We've had a couple of does that consistently go over the normal time frame. We know to expect that when they are pregnant.

prairiegirl