Kindling Does - Problem

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sinenian, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    This will be my second time trying at breeding.
    Last time, my grey one kindled but didn't take care of them (identified problem). And my black doe didn't get pregnant.

This time, my black doe is currently making a nest outside her nestbox!
    Help! She's already pulling fur. I noticed she was making the rest of her nest outside it aswell, and just moved the straw back inside the nestbox.
    Aparently that didn't work.

What do I do?
    Should I let her have her babies then move the material and the babies inside the box? Or will that make her not take care of them?

Thanks for any advice,
    -Greg

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

When does refuse to use a nestbox I fill the pen with boxes so that she has little room to move outside the box. Without much of a choice they'll usually chose a box over a cramped, difficult space.

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I wait for her to pull fur, then move her entire nest into a nest box placed on the spot that she built the nest. I'd watch her, leave it in that spot until she kindles, then you can move it to a better spot in the cage. Domestic rabbits are for the most part more flexible, they usually don't freak/abandon their babies if their touched by humans, you can move their nest around and they'll still find it and feed the kits etc. Only problem could be with a first time mother, expect to lose the litter of a first time mother, they often just don't 'get' it the first time.

4. Sinenian

Thanks, I'll try that!
    :)

5. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Is she pulling the fur out all over the place? My does do that . Then after a while they start picking it all up and put it in the box. I have one doe that piles it up neatly and then puts it in the box.

6. Sinenian

Hm. Could've been that.
    Already put the nest she made on her own back into the box though.
    It was made neatly, so I think she was actually making a nest.