Kinder goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Christiaan, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Saw an article on these goats in Backwoods Home. Does anyone here raise them or have experience with them? They seem ideal as a dual-purpose goat with limited output, as well as being hardy and easy keepers.

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Lots of folks really like them, especially those who prefer the Nubian look and personality. For smaller size, hardiness and excellent dairy characteristics, you might also check out the Mini breeds: Mini-Manchas, Mini-Oberhasli, Mini-Alpines, Mini-Saanens, Mini-Toggs, and Mini-Nubians. These breeds are being developed using Nigerian Dwarfs instead of Pygmies. Here's the Miniature Dairy Goat Association website: http://www.miniaturedairygoats.com/. I have Mini-Manchas and Mini-Oberhasli and can try to answer any questions you might have. (They do tend to produce a more meaty animal than the standard dairy goats, IMHO.)

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy.....I just had my first generation Kinders last january...I love them!....they have a great personality...dont get real big...are easy to handle...the colors and markings can be anything...I seen that article myself in the backwoods home mag...them kinders have pygmy like hair[ a bit course] my kinders have nubian hair...a bit longer and very smooth....I was thrown 2 bucklings and have rebred my nubian for a january kidding and hope to get a doeling this time...if ya want I can send ya pics of my boys...email at eieioooo1@aol.com dale anne

4. Christiaan

We went and saw some Kinders today at Pat Showalter's, one of the developers of the breed. We knew her years ago when my began working with wool (carding, spinning, etc) and it was great to see her again. The Kinders are really neat animals, very sweet and gentle. So we have an order in for the next kidding. Now I just have to get busy and get a pasture ready for them.
    Thanks for all the info!

5. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I have two home made Kinder does (neither of which are registerable, darn it!). I too, am intrigued by their size, meaty character, and temperment. I am buying a registered buckling for this Fall's breeding season. I'm interested as to what kind of udders they will have when they freshen in the Spring. My friends have LaManchas that produce LOTS of milk and I have Obers and a 1/2 Boer that are good milkers also. If the Kinders produce the meat and milk that breeders say they do? It will be the best of both worlds, I think. They seem to be hardier than my pure dairy stock. We'll see. I would think the udders depend on the buck and doe they come out of...

6. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

If you got to see Pat's Kinders you had a treat. Her herd is wonderful!
    Since you're in Washington state you shouldn't have much trouble finding
    Kinders and I'm glad to hear you will be getting into the breed.

Good luck,

Trisha-MN

7. Christiaan

We have an order in for a doeling and wether with Pat, I figured it is always best to go right to the source. We're about 25 miles from Pat, so we'll be using her buck service. I don't think I could ever get used to a buck's poor personal hygiene, so it will be nice having the service closeby.
    Years ago Pat had sheep, deer, dairy goats, wool goats, ducks, chickens, quail, peafowl, geese................. She also did wildlife rehab so you never knew what creature you might meet there. She is a truly remarkable woman. In addition to the Kinder goats she also makes goatmilk soap with a partner. Really nice stuff. We bought a couple of bars wrapped in felt to go with some towels DW is weaving for some friends that are getting out of the Peace Corps this fall.

8. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Bucks don't have poor personal hygiene! They just like to smell wonderful for the ladies!! It's their Come Hither, Baby smell...

A buck that doesn't smell doesn't seem to attract the ladies as well as a really dosed-up buck. My registered Nubian buck puts a Pygmy buck to shame. He almost smells metallic when you get near him. LOL. And the ladies LOVE LOVE LOVE him.

Besides, human males dose THEMSELVES up before going out to find ladies. And some of THAT stuff is nastier. I'd rather smell Hey Baby Want Some of THIS? buck smell than the dreaded Halston Z-14. Gag.

9. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

What a coincidence, I was going to post a question about Kinder goats.

My first question is... I have 6 month old Reg. Nubian does that are very interested in th Nubian Buck we have visiting for the ladies. I was going to wait until next year to breed them when they are 18 months old beacuse they are so young now. I took a pygmy doe over to a buck to be bred and it hit me, could these girls be bred to a Registered pygmy buck? If so, when?
    I was thinking late Oct. or if it was you, would you just not breed them at all until next year?

If a nubian is Registered and a Pygmy buck is Registered - is a Kinder kid registerable or does it take more geneations than that?

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

10. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Yes if you breed a reg nubian and a reg pygmy yopu will get Kinders but generation 1-4 can only get a paper of merrit...the 5th generation can be reg....look on the american kinder Assocation website for the breedings and how to start your own herd...hope this helps dale anne

11. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Thank you Dale Ann, I have been to the site but some of the navigation buttons didnt work and I was unable to see exactly how registration worked...

At what age would you 1st breed Nubian does?