Kinda funny

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Jul 2, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

This just popped into my head while I was cleaning the kitchen and thinking about my herd...About 10 years ago, my husband and I went to Kenya (awesome, awesome trip btw) and we saw the Masai people had big herds of little goats. What cracked us up was that they kept the bucks from mating the does by tying a little board around the bucks' bellies. :p How frustrating for the bucks!! I guess if you can manage to keep just his penis on one side of a wall, you can let the rest of him mingle with the ladies....

Jennifer

2. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

What do you do if the board breaks?:)

3. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

4. full sun

Sorry I didn't describe it thoroughly enough--- The thin board hangs perpendicular to the ground and parallel to the legs. Almost like a huge dog tag hanging from a string collar (around the belly, of course). Can you picture it now? So when the buck pees it would just be like peeing on a wall...

5. full sun

Robin--if he breaks the board, I think he might deserve to mate... :p

Jennifer

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it hurt the does if he got determined enough to try to do it anyway? Or is that just plain impossible?

7. full sun

Jillis--I guess if he attempted it, she would get paddled. But I don't think it would hurt her....

8. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Just the fact that we were barbarians once probably doesn't change if we are not given the tools to be educated with. In other words, I guess it may seem cruel to us now but at one time it was a form of birth control. They may not know how to change their ways or maybe religion prevents them. Who knows. Any how aren't men lucky we are more primitive than that now? heeheehee I'm not sure a board would attract me.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I'm keeping this in mind for future use, LOL!

Kathleen

10. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I love the idea! Why don't companies make something like this? This seems so handy.

I'm having sort of a hard time fully picturing what it looks like. I wish I could find some pics off the net so I could see it. I'd really like to consider this as a tool for my goats in the future. That would be a much easier way to control breeding than just trying to pen up the buck away from the does.